Men’s golf in the hunt at NCAA Championships

By Wes Anderson

Chris DeForest’s two-under-par 70 was the team low as Illinois shot another 14-over-par 302 in the second round of the NCAA Championships in West Layfayette, Ind., on Thursday.

The Illini started the day tied for sixth and duplicated their score from the first round, but fell into a tie for 13th at 28-over-par on a low-scoring day at Purdue’s Kampen Course.

DeForest got off to a slow start in his second round, falling to two-over after seven holes. The freshman then found his stride, carding birdies on six of his next ten holes.

Assistant coach Zach Guthrie said DeForest’s accuracy from tee to green was key.

“He hit it awesome, chipped and putted awesome, (and) made a lot of good putts,” Guthrie said. “On that golf course you have to hit the fairway because the rough is so deep. I’ve seen some of the national golf publications who have been here saying the course is comparable to major championship conditions, so for him to go out there and shoot what he did is really impressive.”

DeForest appeared poised to break 70 until a double-bogey six on the 18th hole finished his day at two-under.

“He didn’t hit a good approach shot, missed it in a bad spot, and then compounded the mistake with a bad chip shot,” Guthrie said. “He was disappointed, but he knows he played really well.”

The round tied the freshman’s lowest score of the spring season, and was a welcome rebound from the NCAA Regional, where he failed to contribute toward the Illini’s combined score. His 36-hole total of one-over-par 145 is tied for eighth in the individual competition.

DeForest’s performance was a big lift for the rest of the team, who stumbled on day two. Fellow freshman Scott Langley also made double-bogey on 18, and his 76 was Illinois’ second-best score of the day. Behind him, Matt Hoffman and Zach Barlow each turned in a 78. Junior transfer Larry Blatt’s 79 was the highest on the team and did not factor into the total score.

“We definitely left shots out there. We had some three-putts, some times where it was an easy up-and-down and we didn’t get it, and it took the momentum from us,” Guthrie said.

The scores were a sharp contrast from the rest of the tournament leaders. Eighteen players shot under-par scores on Thursday in a huge change from the first round, when only three players broke par.

As a result, other teams made big moves in the standings. Clemson began the day at 13-over, but shot an even-par 288 to vault to the top of the team leaderboard. Similarly, national powerhouse Stanford began the day well back of the leaders, but also shot par in the second round to rise to eighth place. Overall, Illinois was the only team in the top 15 to turn in a score higher than nine-over-par on Thursday.

“We made some silly mistakes here and there that cost us a few shots, but it’s still bunched,” Guthrie said.

Despite losing pace with the tournament leaders, the Illini are still in good position to make the 54-hole cut on Friday. The top 15 teams will advance to Saturday’s final round.

Guthrie said an early tee time on Friday morning should favor the Illini, as afternoon rain and thunderstorms are in the forecast. Also, if inclement weather suspends play, the tournament committee can make the cut based on Thursday scores.

“For us to make sure we got in the top 15 is really important,” Guthrie said.