Cubs, Red Sox well represented in All-Star rosters

By Ben Walker

NEW YORK – Maybe Manny Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano and the rest of the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs should just play their own All-Star game.

A charmed season for the Cubs got even better Sunday when they put a team-record seven players on the NL roster. The World Series champion Red Sox also will send seven to Yankee Stadium on July 15.

“They love me everywhere, what can I tell you?” Ramirez said. “That’s why I’m here. I guess I’m not stealing money.”

Said New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez: “It’s going to be weird having them in our locker room.”

The Tampa Bay Rays, with the best record in the majors, did not have a single player elected to start. Pitcher Scott Kazmir and catcher Dioner Navarro were added to the AL squad.

“Picking the All-Star team, it’s normally based on individual performance,” Rays manager Joe Maddon said. “You can look at our group, individually we don’t necessarily stand out, and that’s OK. As a team, we totally stand out.”

The Yankees will be well represented, too, on a night showcasing Hall of Famers and a famed ballpark in its final year. Rodriguez will be joined by Yankees captain Derek Jeter and closer Mariano Rivera.

There was only one change in the last week of fan voting for starters – Milwaukee outfielder Ryan Braun overtook Ken Griffey Jr. in the NL outfield. Griffey finished fourth and was left off the team.

Rodriguez was the top overall vote-getter for the second straight year at 3,934,518 and became a 12-time All-Star, as did Ramirez. Philadelphia second baseman Chase Utley led the NL voting with 3,889,602.

Outfielders Kosuke Fukudome and Soriano and rookie catcher Geovany Soto were chosen to start for the Cubs, who own the best record in the league.

Soriano has been out with a broken left hand, but may return in time to play.Cubs pitchers Kerry Wood and Ryan Dempster and third baseman Aramis Ramirez were chosen by NL players, and pitcher Carlos Zambrano was picked by NL manager Clint Hurdle of Colorado.

“It’s flattering,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. “We’ve played well the first half and these guys that are going are, in a way, largely responsible. We have a few others but these guys have all done their jobs and done them well, and they’re being rewarded.”