BLOG: Notes and quotes from the start of Camp Rantoul

By Alex Symonds

RANTOUL – Sunday’s Illinois Football Media Day was somewhat of a stark contrast to last week’s Big Ten Media Days to say the least, moving from the Hyatt Regency in the big city of Chicago with national media to East Central Illinois’ main metropolis Rantoul for the Orange and Blue’s version of media day on the eve of a three-week training camp. The Illini, as you should already know, are coming off their first Rose Bowl berth since 1983 to go along with their first winning season since 2001 and was just named no. 19 in the preseason coaches’ poll, and have been facing questions since spring ball in late March regarding whether or not 2007 was a fluke.

Well, regardless if last season was a fluke for the Orange and Blue, there are some things that are for sure after Sunday:

No more frantic flankers

Covering this team for the last couple of seasons has been, to say the least, a roller coaster ride of emotions. I’ve seen some emotional, breakthrough wins and many more heartbreaking losses. In the rougher times in 2006, you could constantly see a look of nervousness and, almost pain, on the faces of many of the Illini players and coaches. It was almost a chore for them to come to practice and talk with the media. When the losses piled up, it seemed like no one really wanted to be there and players would rather burrow in a hole than talk about their team’s struggles on the field.

Click here for the full blog post.