Alumni Match unites former, current Illini

Michelle Bartsch spikes the ball during the alumni game on Saturday. Erica Magda

By Kate Munson

Volleyball returned to Huff Hall on Saturday as the current Illini hosted the Illini of the past in the annual Alumni Match.

“It’s just so fun to come back,” 2006 alumna Rachel VanMeter said of the event. “I’ve been back every year since I finished up. It’s just great to see all the parents who try to come back, and the fans.”

The first set was dominated by the 2008 team, but the alumni stepped up the competition in the next two sets.

Nevertheless, the crowd of almost 600 saw the alumni fall 25-7, 25-16, 25-18, as the current squad out-hit former players, .322 to .023.

Leading the team of former Illini with eight kills was VanMeter, who wore the Orange and Blue from 2001 to 2005.

Rasa Virsilate, who played for the Illini from 2002 to 2005, added 13 digs in the game. But their efforts fell short as the current Illini out-played the alumni.

“I thought it was alright,” VanMeter said about her team’s play. “We tried to practice earlier today to get ready, but it’s always hard to pull a group together that hasn’t played in a while. But it was fun. We had fun.”

The exhibition was also a chance to showcase some up-and-coming talent for Illinois volleyball.

Freshman Michelle Bartsch had 11 kills in her debut.

“She has amazing arm speed and did some really smart things,” head coach Don Hardin said of Bartsch. “She doesn’t play like a freshman.”

Also doing her part for the Illini was sophomore standout Laura DeBruler, who had nine kills in the match.

The alumni saw talent in DeBruler and the rest of the young team.

“Their passing and defense is really good … They have a couple of freshman who are really good at putting the ball down,” VanMeter said.

Leading the defense for the Illini were DeBruler and junior Ashley Edinger, with each contributing eight digs. Sophomore Hillary Haen added a pair of aces for Illinois.

Hardin said the team’s 9-1 record in an overseas trip this summer and their play in the alumni match proved how much they have grown as a program.

“For the first time in several years, we have a full roster and we’re getting votes to be in the top-25,” Hardin said. “I think that this is the kind of team that will get a lot better as the season goes on.”

The Fighting Illini are set to host next weekend’s State Farm Illini Classic. There, the team is set to face two ranked opponents in No. 11 Oregon and No. 23 New Mexico State.

While the Illini will kick off their season against ranked teams, their goal is a strong conference start.

“We could beat two ranked teams on Saturday, but if we start off conference play sloppy and go 2-6 in the Big Ten, that’s not going to cut it,” Hardin said.

“But if we play good volleyball and come up short in these matches and go 6-2 in the Big Ten, that’s what we have to focus on.”