Home is where the heart is for soccer

Emily Zurrer attempts to gain control of the ball during the game against the University of Washington at the Illinois Soccer and Track Stadium on Sunday. Illinois won 3-0. Erica Magda

By Cody Westerlund

At a school known for having one of the best home court advantages in college basketball, the ladies kicking it on the soccer pitch are putting together quite the streak of their own. With wins over Colorado College and Washington last weekend, the Illinois women’s soccer team is undefeated in their last 11 home games.

The streak dates back to last season, when the Illini went undefeated in their last seven games at home and includes the first four home wins of the current season. Even more impressive is that the Illini have shut out their opponents in 10 of those matches and have allowed just one goal during the run.

“One of our goals, we say, is ‘don’t lose at home,'” senior midfielder Marti Desjarlais said. “Our team is all about routines and superstitions, so we can do whatever we want (at home).”

Head coach Janet Rayfield said her team feels more comfortable playing at home.

“We like the confines, we like the supportive crowds that we get,” Rayfield said. “With soccer, unlike other sports, the grass can be different, the field can be different, you know, the goal post can be square, or round, so there is definitely a comfort level of playing at home.”

The last Illini home loss came in August 2007 against Missouri. Illinois tied once during the streak against Northwestern last October.

‘CLASS’ act: Zurrer nominated for award

Illinois senior defender Emily Zurrer has been nominated for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS award. The award recognizes collegiate athletes who display good character and excel on the field, in the classroom and in the community.

“It’s awesome,” Zurrer said. “It’s definitely a huge honor just to be in the category with all those other players. I don’t know what my chances are, but I’m excited.”

Zurrer is the second Illini player to be nominated. Last year, Ella Masar was a finalist for the award and received first-team honors.

“I think it says that there’s some great young individuals that are involved in this program,” Rayfield said of Zurrer’s nomination. “There’s been a lot of people who have set the tone for the kind of people, the kind of soccer players, the kind of human beings, the kind of young women who like to lead, who like to give back.”

Early bird gets the win

The Illini got off to quick starts in both games last weekend. In Friday’s win over Colorado College, Chichi Nweke scored in the third minute of the game. On Sunday, Zurrer headed home a corner kick in the fourth minute.

“One of the things we work on all the time, we call it the ‘Big Five,’ is the first five minutes of the game or the first five minutes after anyone scores a goal,” senior forward Jessica Levitt said.

“We find that really important because it sets the tone for the rest of the game. Every time we go out there we are looking to put something away in the first five minutes. That first goal is huge for us.”

From across the sidelines

Washington head coach Lesle Gallimore could not find any weaknesses in Illinois after her team was thoroughly dominated on Sunday.

“Very, very, very good team,” Gallimore said of the Illini. “(They) were what we expected – quick, good pace, skillful. They’re solid at every position. Obviously, they have some standout players in Chichi and others, but soccer is a team sport, and anytime you can be you can be two deep at any position, you’re going to be a good team.”

Lee Ann Sangalang contributed to this report.