Indiana blames former coach for NCAA charge

By Michael Marot

INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana University responded to an NCAA charge that it failed to monitor its men’s basketball program by accusing former coach Kelvin Sampson and his coaching staff of withholding information and concealing impermissible recruiting phone calls from compliance officials.

The lengthy report, released Monday in response to a Freedom of Information request from The Associated Press, explained that the actions of Sampson and his staff made it almost impossible to detect the alleged violations earlier.

Indiana officials contend the latest charge leveled in June is unwarranted because the NCAA’s own investigative staff agreed with school officials that the charge wasn’t warranted.

The NCAA had accused the program of four major violations stemming from more than 100 impermissible phone calls to recruits made by Sampson and his assistants while Sampson was still on probation for a similar phone-call scandal at Oklahoma.

In June, school officials responded to the NCAA’s original assessment by agreeing that Sampson provided false and misleading information to NCAA investigators.

Sampson has repeatedly denied the charge that he was not forthright with the NCAA.

Less than two weeks after Indiana appeared in front of the infractions committee, however, the failure to monitor charge was added. At the time, President Michael McRobbie called the charge unjustified and said the school would “vigorously defend” itself.

Rather than request another hearing, however, the school decided to respond in writing.

Indiana says the alleged NCAA violations were uncovered during a two-tier investigation process that exceeded the best practices established by comparable schools. The university said only four of the calls in question, out of more than 70,000 made by the men’s basketball staff, were detectable.

Since February, the program has undergone a major housecleaning.

Indiana bought out Sampson’s contract, and athletic director Rick Greenspan, who hired Sampson, has announced he will resign in December. None of Sampson’s assistants were retained and all but two players from last season’s roster have either transferred or been kicked off the team. The Hoosiers have only one scholarship player, Kyle Taber, returning this fall, something the school cited in the report.

The university also has restructured its compliance office and included a provision in new coach Tom Crean’s contract that gives Indiana the right to fire him if he or his staff members commit NCAA infractions.

In addition, the school has already imposed limitations on visits and calls to recruits and taken away one scholarship.

The NCAA could hand down additional sanctions when it rules on the case. Indiana could not say when it expected a ruling. The Associated Press left a message seeking comment at NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis.

NCAA officials generally do not comment on ongoing infractions cases.