Illini tennis swings into early matches

By Bret Greenberg

It’s six weeks into the fall season and freshmen Amy Allin and Chelcie Abajian still have a pulse. There may be afternoon practices five days a week and weights and conditioning most mornings, but they still find their way to class.

“I think they’re tired,” head coach Michelle Dasso said. “I’m not sure they have had enough time to be homesick. I think they have done a good job of taking care of business with school, studying, traveling, conditioning and getting up early. They are both joking about how it’s the best thing ever when they get to sleep in until eight.”

Allin said she is already picking up on the nuances of college tennis.

“I don’t hit as long, but it’s much more intense than I’m used to,” Allin said. “Also it’s cool to practice with people you really enjoy being around because it makes the workouts go faster. I feel like I am starting to get into a routine, and it’s starting to feel like home.”

Meanwhile, the whole team is working its way into a rhythm this fall in preparation for Big Ten season in the spring. Dasso said a big part of the process is getting each player match-tough.

Friday, six of the nine Illini will travel to Columbia, Mo., for Mizzou’s Ace for a Cure tournament. Junior Megan Fudge and redshirt sophomore Leigh Finnegan are sitting it out after competing last weekend, and junior Kristina Minor is working her way back from a wrist arthroscopy.

“I’m really anxious to see the doubles pairings this weekend,” Dasso said. “I think it has to do with their coach setting very high standards. But I need to be picky because I expect a lot from them.”

Fudge and Finnegan were tested at the 2008 Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships Pre-Qualifying Round. They competed both individually and as doubles teammates in the invite-only tournament.

Though neither made it out of the first pre-qualifying round of singles, as a pair they defeated Texas’ Sarah Lancaster and Maggie Mello, 8-1, to move on to the second round of doubles. After the Illini took a 4-2 lead in the match, the USC tandem of Maria Sanchez and Alison Ramos stormed back, winning the match 8-5.

“Our returns, serves and first volleys came together well,” Fudge said. “Honestly, everything worked well. We were just unlucky on a few shots and (USC) played one of their best matches.”

Other Illini saw their first match play Sept. 19. Senior Shivani Dave, sophomore Marisa Lambropoulos and Allin traveled to Boulder, Colo., for the Colorado Invitational.

Playing their first matches together as a doubles team, Lambropoulos and Allin finished the weekend 4-1. In singles, each player went 2-2. Dasso acknowledged their hard work but wants to see more.

“Everything is going well thus far, however I don’t think we have competed the best in our matches,” Dasso said. “We have been working harder than ever in practices and we are all in the best shape we’ve ever been in. I also think the team chemistry is there. I think that with time, the results will start to show.”