Juice Williams = Homecoming Royalty?

By Laura Hettiger

Illinois’ first Homecoming football game was held Oct. 15, 1910, when the Fighting Illini defeated the University of Chicago, 3-0. And 98 years later, the Orange and Blue hope to have a similarly successful outcome against Big Ten opponent Minnesota.

Although the campus is buzzing with the Homecoming “Feel the ‘Nois” campaign, the added attention is not affecting the football team.

“Homecoming is not for us,” head coach Ron Zook said. “Homecoming is for the people who are able to come back here, and as I told our team it’s something that we are a part of the many festivities and it’s important to focus on what we do and get our job done.”

With the Homecoming celebrations, come distractions, although the players guarantee they are only focused on the game.

“It’s just another game, Homecoming and all the fun festivities, you know, that’s for the spectators and stuff,” wide receiver Arrelious Benn said. “We’re a part of the show, we just got to come out and do what we got to do, even though it’s Homecoming, it’s a Big Ten game.”

College Homecoming might not mean much to the current players on campus, but they were eager to discuss their high school homecoming experiences.

“High school homecoming is cool,” junior kicker Michael Cklamovski said. “I miss high school a little bit … Homecoming in high school now seems so cheesy, but at the time it was so important and I really enjoyed it.”

Cklamovski said he wasn’t the big man on campus at Lyons Township High School, but he is excited to see some of his former teammates coming back for the festivities.

“It’s cool, a lot of people’s families are coming and all the old alumni, and, like, usually one or two people ask me for tickets in a week, but this week I’ve had like 15 people call me and I’m like, ‘I have none left, I’m sorry!’ but it will be fun,” Cklamovski said.

Freshman running back Mikel LeShoure is anticipating his first collegiate Homecoming, but it will be hard to top his Homecoming last year at Centennial High School in Champaign.

He was crowned the Homecoming king – and didn’t even know he had been nominated.

“Actually people voted me in for it, and I didn’t even know about it until I was announced as Homecoming King,” LeShoure said. “I wore my crown the whole night and sometimes on the weekends I mess around with my friends.”

The more seasoned players are excited for Homecoming as well. Quarterback Juice Williams is hoping for another stellar performance this weekend against the Golden Gophers. Playing in his third Illinois Homecoming game, Williams knows the intensity level the game will have.

“It’s Homecoming, it’s hard to not to get up for Homecoming,” Williams said. “It should be a fun weekend, you got a lot of alumni coming back, you back at home, you see a lot of orange this weekend. It should be a good opportunity for these young guys to play their first college homecoming.”

But the reigning Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week might be jealous of LaShoure’s crown from Centennial. After four years of being on the Chicago Vocational High School’s Homecoming court, he was not able to win the coveted Homecoming king title.

“I was disappointed, I got lazy. I tried (to campaign), I did it for a week and I just gave up, football and campaigning for homecoming king, that was a bit much.”

With a win against the Golden Gophers, Williams thinks he might have a chance to be crowned Illinois’ Homecoming king.

“I think I’d get a few votes.”