Jeff Jordan breaks down Rose’s play

By Jeff LaBelle

Jeff Jordan didn’t see flashes of his father, Michael, during Friday’s NBA preseason matchup between the Utah Jazz and Chicago Bulls – at least not from anyone in a Bulls jersey.

The Illinois sophomore guard joked that Chicago’s No. 1 overall pick in June’s NBA draft, 19-year-old Derrick Rose, isn’t quite Michael Jordan. Rose can’t float on “Rare Air” yet.

“Not yet,” Jordan said. “I think he might get there eventually and he’s playing really well right now. But he’s just getting used to all of it.”

“It’s weird, you look down and you remember two years ago we were playing AAU and everything. It’s crazy. He’s doing real good.”

Rose, who led Memphis to an NCAA runner-up finish as a freshman last season, was selected first overall by the Bulls in part because of his speed and athleticism on the court. On Friday, he got to test those skills against Illinois alumnus Deron Williams, now the starting point guard for the Utah Jazz.

“Going against Deron is only going to get me better,” Rose said before the game. “I wish I could play against him every day.”

Williams, more of a “big body” guard as Illinois coach Bruce Weber likes to put it, said Rose was impressive for such a young player. Playing in his first competitive game at Assembly Hall since 2005, Williams started opposite Rose and matched up with him for much of the first half.

“I thought (Rose) played well. He came out real aggressive. He came out shooting the ball well,” Williams said. “Once he works on his shot and gets a good shot, he’s going to be so tough to defend. He’s already so quick, so fast with the ball going to the basket. It’s tough to stop them. Once he gets respect beyond the three-point line, it’s going to be real tough.”

Rose had 14 points, five assists and one turnover Friday in just over 23 minutes of play. He answered many questions before the game about the pressure of playing in his hometown of Chicago.

“I’ve been playing here my whole life,” he said. “I can see if we make the playoffs or something like that, that would be another type of pressure.”

At halftime Friday, Jordan tried to break down what he suspected were Rose’s biggest adjustments.

“I’m sure the game’s a little bit faster than he’s used to,” Jordan said. “I think just getting used to his teammates is another thing. He’ll be fine once he gets into the practices a little bit and starts to mesh with these guys.”