Liuget, Brent bolster Illini’s offensive line

By Wes Anderson

At first glance, the goal-line formation Ron Zook has been using the last two weeks looks about the same as usual: five linemen, three receivers, a quarterback, halfback and a fullback. The only difference: the fullback has a number in the 90s and weighs around 300 pounds.

In an effort to bolster the strength of his offensive line, Zook has been using Josh Brent and Corey Liuget – both defensive linemen – as run-blocking fullbacks near the goal line. With Liuget at 283 pounds and Brent tipping the scales at 315, the duo is an imposing offensive presence.

“When you get down in that situation, you want to be able to have big guys that can move people out,” Zook said. “They’re both very athletic and strong, and they can move guys out.”

It looks bizarre on the field, but Brent and Liuget both played the position occasionally in high school, and Brent said the idea was actually his own.

“I told (Zook) I wanted to, if he thought I could, help on goal line,” Brent said. “He happened to put me in there. I’m still learning, but I think I can help later in the season once I get used to the ropes.”

For most Chicago Bears fans, the notion of using a defensive lineman on offense immediately conjures up memories of one William “The Refrigerator” Perry. The 382-pound giant was part fullback, part comic relief during the Bears’ 1985 season. He finished with three offensive touchdowns in his career, including one in Super Bowl XX.

Perry was undoubtedly a fan favorite in Chicago and beyond, but most of the Illinois players weren’t around 23 years ago.

“I think only about 10 of us here were alive,” linebacker Brit Miller said. “But I was born because of that season, if you time that out.”

Head coach Ron Zook was definitely around at the time – he was a defensive backs coach at Tennessee in 1985 – but he wasn’t drawing any comparisons between his goal-line package and “The Fridge.”

“Well, it’s not like that. Refrigerator ran the ball,” Zook said.

Since they are exclusively blockers in the new formation, neither Brent nor Liuget have tallied a carry. So has Zook ruled out handing the ball off to either of his newfound offensive weapons?

“I didn’t say that,” Zook said.

Neither Brent nor Liuget knew when or if their number would be called in the huddle, although Brent said a couple of passing plays involving the two were in the works. But Miller joked he wouldn’t mind seeing a handoff in goal-line situations.

“I’m sure if the situation comes about then we will give them the rock and let them jump over the top,” a tongue-in-cheek Miller said. “I think Josh Brent’s capable, but I don’t know about Cory.”