Big Ten Conference outlook

By Ryan Dixon

Purdue

Last season: 25-9 (15-3)

Our take: The Boilermakers return all five of last year’s starters, including preseason All-Big Ten players Robbie Hummel and E’Twaun Moore. Purdue’s tenacious defense will keep them on top should their dangerous offense struggle.

Coach’s take: “For us, in terms of where we were three years ago, it’s a great feeling that we’ve made strides in our program. But still, you don’t start your season at 25-9. You start it at 0-0, and you have to prove yourself all over again.”

-Purdue coach Matt Painter

Michigan State

Last season: 27-9 (12-6)

Our take: The Spartans lose All-Big Ten point guard Drew Neitzel but return five of their top six scorers, including guard Kalin Lucas and forward Raymar Morgan. With a talented crop of freshmen coming in, Michigan State is likely the deepest team in the league.

Coach’s take: “I like my team, I like the players. I think we have some dedicated guys. I think we have some depth, some youth, some veterans. No excuses from me, I think we should be good. And how good, just time will tell.”

-Michigan State coach Tom Izzo

Wisconsin

Last season: 31-5 (16-2)

Our take: The Badgers lose Brian Butch and Michael Flowers, key contributors to last year’s Big Ten champion. But Wisconsin actually got better last year after losing 2007 Big Ten player of the Year Alando Tucker to the NBA, so head coach Bo Ryan is sure to get the most out of his team full of upperclassmen.

Coach’s take: “A coach said that Wisconsin’s one of those schools out there that in order to win a National Championship it’s going to have to be one of those years where you got a whole lot of upperclassmen and you have a lot of guys that have stayed … the league from 1-11 is really tough.”

-Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan

Ohio State

Last season: 24-13 (10-8)

Our take: The Buckeyes lose two top performers in Kosta Koufos and Jamar Butler, but Thad Matta continues to make a huge splash in recruiting, landing highly touted center B.J. Mullens and guard William Buford. With David Lighty and Evan Turner returning, Ohio State should contend for the conference title.

Coach’s take: “We have to rebound the basketball better, especially if we’re small. That’s just something that’s going to be very important to us. Hopefully we’re a little bit tougher than we were last year.”

-Ohio State coach Thad Matta

Minnesota

Last season: 20-14 (8-10)

Our take: Some said Minnesota may have landed a NCAA Tournament bid with one more conference win last season. Though the Gophers lose their three top scorers, Minnesota is loaded with young talent, including freshmen Colton Iverson (6-foot-10) and Ralph Sampson III (6-foot-11).

Coach’s take: “Right away we got bigger. That should equate into more rebounds and better post defense, but again they’re still freshmen … One of the things we need to do is we had to get tougher this year. And I think toughness is something we’ve really harped on with these young guys.

-Minnesota coach Tubby Smith

Illinois

Last season: 16-19 (5-13)

Our take: The Illini lost two of its top three scorers but return one of the stronger backcourts in the conference. Illinois will need its post players to step up for the team to make the NCAA tournament. But with improved perimeter play and free throw shooting, Illinois has a shot at 20 wins.

Coach’s take: “When we play hard and we’re intense … we’ll be a competitive team. If we play without that intensity level and are back on our heels, we’re not old enough, experienced, talented enough at this point to do that.”

-Illinois coach Bruce Weber

Penn State

Last season: 15-16 (7-11)

Our take: The Nittany Lions gained valuable experience last season but don’t have the talent to compete with the top Big Ten teams. Led by senior Jamelle Cornley, the Nittany Lions could be one of those Big Ten bubble teams by the end of the year.

Coach’s take: “I’m encouraged that we have some kids now that have been through the wars and know what it’s going to take to mean and are ready to do that on a consistent basis.”

-Penn State coach Ed DeChellis

Michigan

Last season: 10-22 (5-13)

Our take: Leading scorers Manny Harris and DeShawn Sims return for the Wolverines, giving coach John Beilein two athletes who are used to carrying a team. If Harris learns to take better care of the rock (86 assists, 115 turnovers last season), Michigan could see a vastly improved record.

Coach’s take: “Hopefully (our experience) will keep us in games a lot longer this year. I think there were some games we were out of it very quickly last year and couldn’t get back. We’ll gain the stick-to-it-iveness and the persistence to stay in games.

-Michigan coach John Beilein

Northwestern

Last season: 8-22 (1-17)

Our take: The Wildcats are on the rise. But that might only mean four or five conference wins, which still places coach Bill Carmody’s crew near the Big Ten cellar. Junior Kevin Coble, who averaged nearly 16 points per game last season, should give opponents fits in the paint and from behind the arc.

Coach’s take: “The chemistry is better, the guys are closer, there are a lot of big bodies out there that aren’t just big – they’re pretty good. So, I feel as optimistic as I’ve been in a number of years.”

-Northwestern coach Bill Carmody

Iowa

Last season: 13-19 (6-12)

Our take: Gone are Tony Freeman and Justin Johnson, Iowa’s only two players to average more than 10 points per game. Fans will see five freshmen this season, including highly touted shooting guard Matt Gatens. But it will be a few years until coach Todd Lickliter can stir up some excitement.

Coach’s take: “We’re going to compete this year … I sure wouldn’t want to sell our guys short and not give them every opportunity. I mean, I’ve never gone into a situation thinking we’re not going to win.”

-Iowa coach Todd Lickliter

Indiana

Last season: 25-8 (14-4)

Our take:

Last season: Following the Kelvin Sampson debacle, the Hoosiers return only one scholarship player and will rely on mostly freshmen and junior college transfers. First-year coach Tom Crean will have to go through some dark days before IU re-enters the national stage.

Coach’s take: “I just want (the fans) to see that our team will play with energy, play hard and compete, that they’re going to represent the standards the right way.”

-Indiana coach Tom Crean