Illini players reflect on Memorial Stadium memories

By Wes Anderson

First Memorial Stadium Memory

“The first thing that stands out was the first play I got in, it was actually against Western Michigan (in 2004). I had no idea what the play was. I just got in my stance, and I was looking around for someone to help me, then the ball was snapped, so I just took off running. I ended up missing, just scraping the quarterback, just enough that he had to arc the ball. So, that was my first play. Almost a sack, if I knew what I was doing.”

Xavier Fulton, Former Defensive, now Offensive Lineman

“I came here on my visit, was around the guys, and they make you feel at home. It was a no-brainer coming here. It really came down to here and Virginia, and the guys, how close they were, really stuck with me. That’s why I would up coming here.”

Will Davis, Defensive Lineman

“Probably the first greatest moment we had here was beating Rutgers our first game out (in 2005). First college game, overtime, you could feel stuff changing then, you could feel people believing. At the same time, it took a while.”

Brit Miller, Linebacker

Favorite Memorial Stadium Moment

“I think it was when we beat Penn State. I ran up to the student section with the band and everybody (on the team) followed us. I grabbed a trumpet, started playing it. That had to be the best memory.”

Will Davis, Defensive Lineman

“Beating Penn State last year. That one was really huge for me because two years before that, playing them, that’s when I blew my knee out. So getting a chance to beat them, at home, was an amazing feeling.”

Xavier Fulton, Offensive Lineman

“I really enjoyed playing Ohio State here last time. Beating Wisconsin was probably the best moment I’ve had here, other than playing Ball State and getting bowl eligibility.”

Brit Miller, Linebacker