Illinois to battle Purdue on Big Ten Network

Laura DeBruler goes down low to recover an Indiana serve at the home game on saturday Nov. 15. The Illini beat Indiana in all 3 sets played. Erica Magda

By Kate Munson

With just four matches left in the regular season, No. 16 Illinois is clinging to third place in the Big Ten. But if it wants to remain there alone, it will have to win at No. 18 Purdue on Wednesday in a match that will be broadcast by the Big Ten Network.

But rankings aren’t the only thing on the Boilermakers’ minds entering the match.

“It’s kind of one of those matches that we know is important to us for a lot of reasons, for NCAA seeding purposes, for finishing in the upper three of the Big Ten, and then just for recruiting purposes,” Purdue head coach Dave Shondell said.

The Illini are also well aware of what is at stake, but head coach Don Hardin wants his players to concentrate on the things they can control.

“From the players’ standpoint, I think it’s just important for them to stay focused on what we know we can do and how we play well,” he said. “From a fan and a spectator’s standpoint it could possibly be both teams fighting to see who hosts for this area for the NCAA, depending on how the other matches turn out.”

After falling once to the Fighting Illini already this season, Purdue is out for more than just a tie for third in the Big Ten.

“Our players look at it from the standpoint that we need to win this. We feel like we’re a better team than what Illinois is and right now we can’t say that because Illinois kicked our tail in Champaign,” Shondell said.

Leading the Boilermakers in that quest is reigning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week Stephanie Lynch. The senior middle blocker helped Purdue tally nine team blocks against No. 1 Penn State, the most by any Nittany Lions opponent this season. Lynch is averaging 3.53 kills per set (367 season), good for seventh in the Big Ten.

But Purdue will have an even bigger kill threat coming at them from across the net. Sophomore outside hitter Laura DeBruler is the Big Ten kills leader, averaging 4.63 a set (472 season). And her achievements haven’t gone unnoticed by Purdue.

“DeBruler is just an absolute treat to watch play,” Shondell said. “She’s one of my favorite players in the Big Ten.”

But DeBruler isn’t the only Illini the Boilermakers will have on their minds Wednesday night.

“What has always impressed me about Illinois this year is that they play hard. Ashley Edinger has been a great leader for that team, and I think the entire squad kind of feeds off of her mentality,” Shondell said. “It’s a team that is going to be very difficult to beat, so we’re going to have to play an exceptional match.”

The close proximity of the match Wednesday can only help the Illini.

“I’m excited to go there and play. We have some students coming to see us and we’ll have a good support group with us. We have to prepare well this week because I know they’ve been playing well lately also,” junior libero Ashley Edinger said. “We just have to take care of business.”