Men’s basketball 7-1 after defeating Georgia

Mike Davis executes an alley-oop at the basketball game held at the United Center in Chicago against Georgia on Saturday Dec. 6 2008. Davis scored 14 points in the game helping the Illini defeat Georgia 76-42. Erica Magda

unknown

By Jeremy Werner

CHICAGO – Demetri McCamey led the Illinois’ men’s basketball team with 19 points, 7 assists as the Illini defeated Georgia 76-42 at the United Center on Saturday to improve to 7-1.

Mike Tisdale and Mike Davis each tallied 14 points in a sloppy game that included 41 turnovers. The Illini shot 56.9 percent from the field and found great success beyond the arc, making nine of 16 three-point attempts. Illinois finished the game on a 22-0 run.

The Illini struggled to pull away from Georgia for most of the game, despite the Bulldogs struggles from the field and 27 turnovers. The Bulldogs stayed in the game for the first 30 minutes by outrebounding the Illini.

The Illini started hot from the field, making eight of its first 10 field goals to build a 19-6 lead. But Georiga cut the Illinois lead to 23-18, as Illinois missed 10 of its next 11 field goals attempts before taking a 30-23 lead into the half.

With the victory, Illinois now owns a 32-8 all-time record at the United Center. The Illini had won 18 straight times in the United Center before falling to Arizona last year and to Wisconsin in the Big Ten Tournament in 2007. Illinois will return home to finish off its grueling schedule of four games in nine days, hosting Hawaii on Monday and Chicago State on Wednesday. The team will then have 10 days off for final exams.