Men’s track takes three first-place finishes

By Kevin Kaplan

The Illinois men’s track and field team was fueled by strong performances in mid-long distance events as they took third place at Saturday’s Adidas Classic in Lincoln, Neb.

Three Illini came away from the Bob Devaney Sports Center with first-place finishes in individual races longer than 800 meters.

Senior Gary Miller placed first in the 800 meter with a time of 1:52.29, while junior Brian Beaird scored points in the event with a fifth place finish (1:54.63).

Illinois took first and second in the 1,000 meter. Freshman Graham Farnsworth won the event with a time of 2:31.19, just edging out junior Garrett Weaver (2:31.44). Farnsworth also placed third in the mile (4:12.58).

Freshman Nathan Troester rounded out the Illini’s first-place distance finishes, winning the 5,000 meter (14:53.20), while freshman Colin Mickow placed third (15:03).

While much of the Illini’s success came in the distance events, the 400 meter and 4×400-meter relay were two of the most exciting races of the meet.

Senior Gakologelwang Masheto ran his second provisional-qualifying time of the year and season-best time of 47.06 in the 400 meter while taking second to Nebraska’s Lukas Hulett (46.75).

The Illini also won the 4×400-meter relay (3:12.03), finishing ahead of Nebraska by .09 seconds.

The Illini will next compete as a split-squad on Feb 6-7. Part of the team will go to New York for the New Balance Invitational while others will compete at Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational in South Bend, Ind.