Women’s gym hopes to shed two-tenths a point

Trevor Greene The Daily Illini Illinois Allison Buckley competes on the balance beam during the meet against Iowa in Huff Hall on Saturday, January 24th. The Illini fell to the Hawkeyes 194.400 to 194.950.

Trevor Greene The Daily Illini Illinois’ Allison Buckley competes on the balance beam during the meet against Iowa in Huff Hall on Saturday, January 24th. The Illini fell to the Hawkeyes 194.400 to 194.950.

By Emily Bayci

Two-tenths of a point is a miniscule amount. When you have five girls competing in gymnastic events, however, tenths of a point add up.

Illinois head coach Bob Starkell said he hopes each of his gymnasts adds two-tenths of a point in her worst routine when the No. 15 Illini travel to Columbus, Ohio, this weekend to face No. 14 Ohio State, No. 13 Missouri and Michigan State. If that happens, the Illini would add almost 1.25 points to their score, a steep feat for a gymnastics team.

“We are so evenly matched with the other teams that this will probably be one of the closest gymnastics meets of all time,” senior Marijka Botterman said.

Anticipating a close meet, consistency will be important for Illinois. But this may be difficult because the Illini might be forced to change their lineup with an injury to last week’s Big Ten Gymnast of the Week’s, junior Sarah Schmidt. She hyperextended both of her knees and depending on how she feels, Starkell said Schmidt may or may not compete Saturday.

If Schmidt can’t go, it will be up to others such as freshman Kelsey Joannides to step forward. Joannides has made her presence felt all season, competing in the all-around in every meet for the Illini and being ranked in the top-100 nationwide on the beam (24) and the all-around (33).

“Kelsey has surprised everybody this season by working to succeed above what we dreamed her potential could be,” Starkell said. “She is strong in all four events.”

Another freshman, Hannah Welker, may step forward this weekend because of Schmidt’s injuries. Welker is the seventh spot on the floor, balance beam and uneven bars.

Saturday’s meet will be televised by the Big Ten Network on a tape-delayed basis. This will be the second of three meetings between the Illini and the Spartans. Illinois defeated Michigan State in the season opener and will face the Spartans once again next weekend at the IGI Chicago Style Invite.

Illinois will meet both the Tigers and Buckeyes once again this season, traveling to Missouri on Feb. 13 and then returning home for a meet with Ohio State on Feb. 15.

“All we can hope for is that we fix all the little mistakes,” Joannides said. “Then after this weekend we can look at what worked and what didn’t so we are prepared for the next time that we face everybody.”