Women’s track dominates at Eastern

By Kevin Kaplan

Though only fielding a small group, the Illinois women’s track and field team had a strong showing at Eastern Illinois’ Illinois Intercollegiate meet. Many Illini athletes marked personal-bests and Illinois as a team tallied five first place finishes.

Sophomore Tamika Robinson led the way with both two first-place finishes and personal bests.

She finished the 60 meter with a time of 7.53 seconds and missed provisionally qualifying for the NCAA Championships in the 60-meter hurdles by .01 seconds with a time of 8.44.

Illinois’ other first-place track finish came from senior Deserea Brown, who ran a personal best in the 600 meter (1:33.91).

The other first-place finishes for the Illini came in field events.

Freshman Alexandra Smith leapt a personal best 38 feet, seven and three-fourths inches in the triple jump and senior Jackie Ziegler vaulted a personal-best 12 feet, five and one-half inches in the pole vault.

The Illini will next compete as a split squad on Feb. 6-7, with some athletes competing in the Rod McCravy Memorial meet in Lexington, Ky., and others travelling to South Bend, Ind. for Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational.