Jets QB Brett Favre to retire

Elaine Thompson, The Associated Press

Elaine Thompson, The Associated Press

By Dennis Waszak Jr.

NEW YORK – Brett Favre’s done with football – again.

The 39-year-old quarterback called the New York Jets on Wednesday morning to say he’s retiring, ending a record-setting career in which he became one of the NFL’s all-time greats.

“He felt he had given us everything he had,” general manager Mike Tannenbaum said, “and it was time for him to move on.”

Favre, who retired last March only to return with the Jets, kept this goodbye simple – no tearful farewell or jam-packed news conference.

His decision came six weeks after his only season with the Jets ended in disappointment as New York failed to make the playoffs. In an e-mail to ESPN, Favre said he had no regrets about finishing his career in New York and praised Tannenbaum, owner Woody Johnson and fired coach Eric Mangini.

“My time with the Jets was short, but I’m honored to be given that chance,” Favre wrote in the e-mail.

If this is indeed it for Favre, he leaves the game with a slew of records, including career touchdown passes (464), completions (5,720), yards passing (65,127), regular-season victories (169) and interceptions (310).

“With Brett, there was always the possibility that he wouldn’t play the second year,” Johnson said. “We were hoping to get one good year out of Brett Favre. We picked him based on, in our opinion, his giving us the best chance to win last season. We were disappointed not to have made the Super Bowl, but we did some very good things with Brett.”

And the team doesn’t expect Favre, acquired by New York last August after a bitter breakup with Green Bay, to change his mind.

“He did not ask to be released,” Tannenbaum said. “Everything he said was, he is done playing football. We have our plan according to that, and we’re going to move forward.”

Favre was drafted by Atlanta in the second round of the 1991 draft, but was traded after the season to Green Bay for a first-round pick. During his 16 seasons with Green Bay, he helped lead the Packers to consecutive Super Bowls, including a victory over New England in 1997.