Cardinals’ Ludwick feels safe, but keeps motivated

By The Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. – Security was something Ryan Ludwick never felt during his first decade in professional baseball. But that has changed, thanks to a breakout 2008 season and a new $3.7 million contract.

The Cardinals definitely have a spot for him in the outfield, but he said the deep talent there keeps him motivated. Whether he plays right or left field depends on several factors, including the team’s desire to move outfielder Skip Schumaker to second base.

“We’re loaded here in the outfield,” Ludwick said. “Whenever I work out in the offseason I’m always going in the gym or out to the field with the intention that no one is going to outwork me in the country that day. If you take that approach you know you’re at least working as hard as that other guy who’s behind you or ahead of you.”

Ludwick hit .299 with 37 home runs and 113 RBI in 2008, his first full season in the big leagues.

He then avoided arbitration by settling for the one-year deal, which was a victory of sorts for the 30-year-old. Ludwick was seeking $4.25 million while the Cardinals were offering $2.8 million. Teams and players typically meet halfway when they settle, but Ludwick’s base salary is $175,000 above the midpoint.

He was thrilled with how it worked out, noting he has come a long way from where he was in the past.

“Worst case scenario, if you would have told me I was going to be making $2.8 million four years ago I would have said, ‘awesome,'” Ludwick said.

“For me, it’s not about the money; it’s about being here. I’ve been healthy for three years. That’s that main goal, staying healthy and being able to play this game. I love playing this game. I feel blessed being able to do this every day.”

Ludwick was derailed by a series of injuries that limited him to fewer than 70 games per year in the minors and majors from 2002-05. “It’s not an easy game to play, even if you’re playing it every day,” Ludwick said.

The Cardinals revamped their outfield last season, making the transition from the Jim Edmonds years, with Ludwick, Rick Ankiel and Schumaker.

Chris Duncan and Colby Rasmus also are fighting for playing time. That’s one reason manager Tony La Russa decided to give Schumaker first dibs on the second base job. With five talented players in the outfield, moving Schumaker to second base gives the other two more opportunity to play.