Illini baseball to face big test in No. 1 LSU

Jeremy Berg The Daily Illini Illinois’ Dominic Altobelli throws out a runner at the game against Michigan on Saturday April 12.

By Pete Zervakis

Ben Reeser is not really a stats guy.

The Illinois (5-1) senior pitcher knows the LSU Tigers are impressive on paper. They have outscored their opponents a combined 109-25 this season en route to a No. 1 national ranking.

But Reeser doesn’t care.

“I don’t look up the guys on their team or anything beforehand,” Reeser said. “But we expect to go down (to Baton Rouge, La.) and take the series.”

LSU (9-0) is off to a hot start this year, with a pair of sophomore right-handers leading a talented group of pitchers. Austin Ross and Anthony Ranaudo have combined to allow three earned runs in four games, both going 2-0 in two starts.

The 6-foot-7 Ranaudo also has accounted for a team-high 17 strikeouts.

Offensively, the Tigers bring some serious power to the plate, as is to be expected from the country’s top team. Sophomore shortstop D.J. LeMahieu is hitting .607 with two home runs and 12 RBIs. Junior catcher Sean Ochinko has also been dangerous, batting .457 with two home runs and a team-leading 21 RBIs.

“They’re a very athletic team,” said Illinois head coach Dan Hartleb. “They have very good team speed, they have a high batting average … Obviously a high ERA … They’ve gone out and proven they are one of the top teams in the nation.”

Reeser said one key to shocking the Tigers in the three-game series will be the pitching corps, which threw extremely well last weekend in Texas.

“It all starts with the Friday night guy,” Reeser said. “He sets the tone.”

Last Friday Phil Haig successfully did just that, and Illinois went 3-0. Hartleb said he plans to stick with the same rotation this weekend because of its recent success, and Reeser believes that he, Haig and senior Aaron Martin, as well as the bullpen, will be able to get the job done.

“We have a lot of guys who have plenty of experience under their belts,” Reeser said, “And that’ll be a big positive for us.”

The Illini seniors, including third baseman Dominic Altobelli, would love to add a win over the No. 1 Tigers to their resume prior to leaving campus.

“All of us haven’t stopped talking about it all week,” Altobelli said. “Everyone’s excited … We can’t wait. I just want to go out there and play.”

Altobelli’s play so far this season has been consistent as can be. In two weekends of action, he has batted .261 while accounting for eight RBIs – tied for first on the team.

Making this weekend’s trip all the more intimidating will be the Baton Rouge atmosphere. The Tigers moved to a new home in February: Alex Box Stadium, which seats 9,200. Tickets are standing room only for this weekend’s series with the Illini, and with almost 8,000 season-ticket holders, the crowd will be loud and rambunctious.

“It’s going to be a fun atmosphere,” Hartleb said. “It’s going to be like a (NCAA) regional game. So I’m anxious to see how our guys respond to playing in it.”

Altobelli also said the atmosphere in the stadium will be pretty intense.

“I’ve heard it’s just wild,” Altobelli said. “The fans are relentless.”

But Altobelli does not believe those fans will be able to spoil Illinois’ weekend, and the Illini expect the eyes of college baseball to be on their backs come Sunday.

“This is what I dream for,” Altobelli said. “We know that we have it in us to upset, if you want to call it that, the number-one team in the country.”