Women’s gymnastics defeats instate rival UIC

By Emily Bayci

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team defeated University of Illinois-Chicago (195.925-193.725) Saturday afternoon. The team posted its second best score of the season, hitting 24 of 24 routines.

The meet was Senior Night, honoring Marjika Botterman, Julie Crall, Kim Kruk and Lindsey Smith. Sophomor…The Illinois women’s gymnastics team defeated University of Illinois-Chicago (195.925-193.725) Saturday afternoon. The team posted its second best score of the season, hitting 24 of 24 routines.

The meet was Senior Night, honoring Marjika Botterman, Julie Crall, Kim Kruk and Lindsey Smith. Sophomore Allison Buckley led the Illini, taking three titles, including the all-around competition.

Buckley tied for the vault title. Junior Sarah Schmidt won her third bars title of the year with a 9.825, while Buckley, junior Nicole Cowart, and junior Melissa Fernandez all tied for second with 9.775. On the balance beam, Buckley tied her career best and the second-best score in school history with a 9.925.

Freshman Kelsey Joannides and junior Sarah Schmidt posted 9.875 on the floor exercise, tying for the title.

Illinois will travel to Chicago next Saturday, March 14, at 5 p.m., to take part in the annual State of Illinois Classic.