Faith plays big role for Illini wrestlers on and off mats

Illini wrestling coach Mark Johnson poses for a portrait in Huff Hall on Wednesday. Coach Johnson was given an Inspirational Award from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Ramzi Dreessen

By Jay Lee

After Illinois head coach Mark Johnson led his No. 8 wrestling team to a second-place finish at this past weekend’s Big Ten Championships, a special tribute awaited him.

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes honored Johnson with the FCA Influence Award at its 16th annual banquet Monday night. The award recognizes an individual who exhibits the values of integrity, service, teamwork and excellence while having a positive influence over his or her players and community.

“I have a lot of roles as a coach, and I try to influence these guys the way I live my life,” Johnson said. “I’m not afraid to be something more, as a father figure to look after them off the mats to make sure they’re doing things in life the right way.”

Johnson, who has been a devout Christian since he was young, is not alone in the wrestling locker room when it comes to his faith. This year’s team is comprised of several players who strongly identify with Christianity.

“We have prayer meetings before every match, and I’ve always made sure to let them know that it’s not mandatory. But so far, we’ve had all 10 guys show up every time, and it means a lot to every one of them,” Johnson said. “We’ve had Jewish kids before, non-practicing kids here in the past, too.”

Before every meet, a representative of the FCA leads the Illini in a short scripture and prayer session.

“A lot of times the scripture will have to do with preparing for battle or things like that, things that we can really relate to. We usually pray about doing our best and having God watch over us to keep us healthy and safe,” junior Patrick Bond said. “They really help put our hearts in the right place so we go out not for ourselves, but in order to glorify God.”

Bond, who can often be seen praying with Johnson, credits a shared spirituality with the team’s cohesive nature.

“Knowing where these guys stand, I know I can talk to them about anything, not just wrestling technique,” Bond said. “I can’t even begin to describe how close this team is. We are connected to each other on a different level.”

The team has taken advantage of FCA’s presence on campus, with Johnson encouraging his interested wrestlers to attend FCA’s large group meetings on Wednesday nights.

“In a sport like wrestling where everything is so intense, I make sure to tell my guys to not think they’re soft because of their faith or that it is something that should be kept in the closet,” Johnson said.

Every sport on campus have designated leaders for FCA, with all representatives meeting together on Monday nights. The FCA leaders for the wrestling team are Bond, freshman Eric Terrazas and senior John Wise, who recently received an internship offer from FCA.

“We get together on Mondays to first to talk about how we can continue to grow as Christian student-athletes and what it really means to follow Jesus Christ in our situations,” Wise said.

“But beyond that our main purpose is to look at our positions as leaders in our teams and sports and discuss how we can evangelize and share our faith with those around us.”

A fifth-year senior, Wise has seen the dynamics of the team change as more and more wrestlers identify with the Christian faith.

“Three years ago from today, you’re looking at a totally different team, and it’s for the better,” Wise said.

“The number of wrestlers involved has jumped up from the past, where we’ve only had one or two guys involved. It makes everything different out there when you’re a Christian, because you’re not out there for yourself or anyone else. It’s all about Him.”

Bond points to the Christian principles of humility and selflessness as being something that has become a stronghold on this year’s team.

“It really trickles down from the coaching staff,” Bond said. “The Christian values of carrying yourself in a particular way, on and off the mats, is something that is shared by not just all the Christians on the team, but everyone on the team as a whole. A good attitude and strong morals is something that we all share.”

Johnson, who Bond said “is everyone’s mentor on and off the mats,” makes it a point to individually take players aside during long bus rides to see where they stand in their lives.

“If they come here with some kind of faith, it’s important that I encourage them not to leave that at home when they come to college,” Johnson said. “It’s an important aspect of your life if you want it to be, and we let them know that it is available to them.”