Illini softball drops doubleheader to No. 8 Michigan

By Kate Munson

The threat of inclement weather Sunday forced the Illini softball team to play a doubleheader at Eichelberger Field against No. 8 Michigan on Saturday following the sixth annual World’s Largest Softball Tailgate.

Despite the added fan support, Illinois (24-14, 7-6) was unable to defeat its Big Ten foes, falling to the Wolverines 8-2 in game one and 8-3 in game two.

Michigan (32-9, 8-2) struck first in game one on a two-run homer by junior third baseman Maggie Viefhaus. The Wolverines scored one in the third and fourth innings before the Illini got on the board in the bottom of the fourth, scoring a pair on a double by senior designated player Katrina Ross.

But that was the only scoring the Fighting Illini offense could muster in game one as the Wolverines claimed the victory.

Illinois jumped on the board first in game two. Freshman first baseman Meredith Hackett belted her seventh homer of the season in the second. The Illini didn’t score again until the sixth when Ross belted a two-run homerun.

But Michigan put up two runs in the third and five in the fifth to chase freshman pitcher Monica Perry en route to the victory.