Illini pick up first Big Ten win against Michigan

On a windy Halloween afternoon, the Illinois football team rode a strong running game and a second-half shutout to beat Michigan at home, 38-13.

The Illinois running game racked on 377 yards on the ground, leading Illinois to its first conference win of the season.

Leading the charge was sophomore running back Mikel LeShoure, who gained 150 yards on 21 carries, including a 70-yard touchdown in the third quarter. Sophomore running back Jason Ford contributed 128 rushing yards of his own on 12 carries.

The Illini (2-6, 1-5 Big Ten) overcame a 13-7 halftime deficit by outscoring Michigan (5-4, 1-4) 31-0 in the second half.

After being benched earlier this season, senior Juice Williams was given the nod at quarterback for the entire game despite splitting time with redshirt freshman Jacob Charest during this week’s practices. He finished with 123 yards on 8 of 11 passing as well as 97 yards on the ground.

Saturday’s win was the team’s first against a BCS opponent this season. Illinois hadn’t beaten the Michigan Wolverines at home since a 16-6 win in 1983.