Ready for another bowl game?

DALLAS — Dallas city leaders say the Dallas Football Classic will replace the Cotton Bowl game in 2011. The plan calls for using teams from the Big 12, Big Ten and perhaps Conference USA.

If the plan is approved by the NCAA, it would run through the 2013 season.

Florida increases Spikes suspension to full game

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes will be suspended for trying to gouge the eyes of a Georgia running back increased to a full game.

Coach Urban Meyer says it was in the best interest of the team for Spikes to serve a full-game suspension when the top-ranked Gators play Vanderbilt on Saturday.

Spikes stuck his hand into the facemask of Georgia’s Washaun Ealey during Florida’s victory against the Bulldogs last week. There was no penalty called at the time, but Meyer went back and looked at the play of tape and decided to punish Spikes.

Florida’s Meyer: SEC refs missed late hit on Tebow

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Urban Meyer says Southeastern Conference officials missed a late hit against quarterback Tim Tebow in Saturday’s game against Georgia.

Meyer says the play was directly in front of the referee and should have drawn a flag.

Tebow handed off to running back Jeff Demps on the play, took a few steps to his right and wasn’t looking when linebacker Nick Williams slammed into his chest.

Sixth man arrest in UConn stabbing case

STORRS, Conn. —UConn Police Lt. Andrew Fournier says 18-year-old De’Quan Muhammad was arrested on Monday and charged with making a false statement regarding the stabbing death of UConn football player Jasper Howard.

Police say Muhammad twice denied to police any knowledge of the Oct. 18 stabbings outside a UConn dance, but has told more than one person that he witnessed the altercation.

Six people face charges stemming from the fight and the police investigation.

Twenty-one-year-old John Lomax III of Bloomfield, is charged with murder. He is being held on a $2 million bond.

From Associated Press reports