Local Sports Briefs

Women’s gymnastics announces schedule

The 2011 women’s gymnastics was announced Monday, and includes four home meets and six opponents ranked in the top 25 nationally in 2010.

Illinois’ home schedule includes meetings at Huff Hall against Iowa (Jan. 29), Minnesota (Feb. 5), UIC (Feb. 19) and Western Michigan (March 6).

Illinois is set to compete against all six Big Ten teams, and will travel on the road to Kentucky, Missouri and Oklahoma.

The sites listed to host the 2011 NCAA Women’s Gymnastics Regionals on April 2 include Alabama, Denver, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma and Oregon State. Kent State will host the NCAA Championships from April 15-17 in Cleveland.

Illini sitting in 3rd at Jack Nicklaus Invitational

Luke Guthrie of the Illinois men’s golf team is tied for first at the Jack Nicklaus Invitational in Upper Arlington, Ohio. The Illini are currently in third place after the first two rounds of play Monday.

The Illini remained consistent between the first and second round, finishing at 290 and 291, respectively. Guthrie is at even par for the first two rounds, consistently shooting 70. Teammate Scott Langley is close behind at 1-over-par and tied for third.

Arkansas leads the tournament after finishing 18-over, with Oklahoma State only two strokes behind. The Illini will try to cut their three-stroke deficit in the final round Tuesday.

Illinois has won two out of its three tournaments for the fall season. Monday marked the first time the Illini have competed in the Jack Nicklaus Invitational.

If Guthrie manages to top the leaderboard after Tuesday’s play it will be the second win for an Illini individual of the season, as Chris DeForest won last weekend at the D.A Weibring Intercollegiate.

The Jack Nicklaus is the last tournament of the fall season for Illinois, which will enter off-season training until February for the spring season.

Ember Schuldt leads Illini at Lady Northern Invite

The Illinois women’s golf team is sitting in 10th place after Day 1 of competition at the Lady Northern Invitational in Glencoe, Ill.

The Illini shot a team total of 610 after two rounds of play on the Par-72 course at the Lake Shore Country Club. The Illini are sitting at 15-over-par, and are ahead of Big Ten-opponents Michigan and Iowa.

Every Big Ten team except Michigan State is competing in the 12-team field. After two rounds of golf Purdue is on top of the leaderboard — which also includes Texas Tech and Iowa State — at 4-under as a team, shooting 572.

Indiana’s Lindsay Gahm is tied with Northwestern’s Lauren Weaver at the top of the individual leaderboard after shooting 5-under on the 6,303-yard course.

Freshman Ember Schuldt has the highest individual placement for the Illini, sitting tied for 18th after shooting 4-over, though her second-round score of 71 ranked in the top-eight places of the 72-athlete field. Junior Samantha Sloan is tied for 36th place after going 8-over on the day.