OUR PICKS: Football predictions for this week

h2. ARKANSAS STATE AT ILLINOIS

*Asofsky: Illinois 35, Arkansas State 10*

Arkansas State nearly took down Indiana last season, but the Illini have too much talent. Would Mike Thomas fire Zook on the spot if he lost this game?

*Turkin: Illinois 45, Arkansas State 21*

The Illini will take this one and Jason Ford will break 100 Yards rushing behind his veteran O-line.

*Souligne: Illinois 48, Arkansas State 35*

The Illini win, but the defense still leaves plenty of unanswered questions heading into week two.

*Voit: Illinois 42, Arkansas State 20*

Jonathan Brown disruptive early and Ford-Young duo runs rampant behind Illini offensive line.

h2. NO. 14 TCU AT BAYLOR

*Asofsky: TCU 45, Baylor 10*

ESPN polled 11 head coaches and 44 assistant coaches, TCU head coach Gary Patterson came up with 23 percent of the vote. He’ll have his team prepared.

*Turkin: TCU 42, Baylor 17*

TCU?was located in Waco from 1895 to 1910 before moving to Fort Worth. They take this one in their old stomping grounds.

*Souligne: TCU 21, Baylor 10*

Andy Dalton may be gone, but TCU’s defense should still be as nasty as ever.

*Voit: TCU 34, Baylor 28*

Losing Josh Gordon was a huge blow for BU despite the Bears’ depth out wide. An anemic secondary hits reboot this year and is one year from true Big 12 caliber.

h2. NO. 5 BOISE STATE AT NO. 19 GEORGIA

*Asofsky: Georgia 31, Boise State 28*

Boise State is 2,100 miles from home and you know Athens is showing up for this game.

*Turkin: Boise State 42, Georgia 35*

Is this the year Boise competes for a national title? Will Kellen Moore win the Heisman? They’ll start 1-0 as they venture to SEC Country.

*Souligne: Boise State 27, Georgia 24*

Don’t forget about Kellen Moore as a serious Heisman candidate.

*Voit: Georgia 26, Boise State 24*

Mark Richt is on the hot seat and needs a signature win. Playing Virginia Tech in DC pales in comparison to an emerging UGA defense in Atlanta that could pack some punch.

h2. NO. 3 OREGON AT NO. 4 LSU

*Asofsky: Oregon 28, LSU 21*

With Jordan Jefferson’s suspension and all the returning talent on Oregon’s offense the Ducks will take this one. If there’s one place I want to be on Saturday it’s Cowboys Stadium.

*Turkin: Oregon 31, LSU 21*

We all know Oregon will look flashy as it takes this one in the house that Jerry Jones built.

*Souligne: LSU 36, Oregon 35*

Les Miles is crazy — just crazy enough to go for two to win the game rather than settle for OT.

*Voit: Oregon 38, LSU 31*

LaMichael James, party of one.

h2. SMU AT NO. 8 TEXAS A&M

*Asofsky: Texas A&M 42, SMU 14*

The Aggies have a chance to dethrone Oklahoma this season. I don’t see SMU taking them down although it would be poetic with the A&M trying to leave the Big 12 and SMU trying to join it.

*Turkin: Texas A&M 52, SMU 24*

The Mustangs hope to take the Aggies’ spot in the Big 12. They won’t impress any of the conference’s members here.

*Souligne: Texas A&M 24, SMU 21*

This is SMU’s chance to make its case as a replacement for A&M in the Big 12.

*Voit: Texas A&M 31, SMU 16*

A&M experienced secondary cancels out SMU signal caller and centerpiece Kyle Padron. Kyle Field not a friendly place to play, let alone with a talented team to back.