Illinois football has a fighting chance in weekend game against Purdue

Entire Illinois offense vs. Purdue defense

Bill Cubit and Nathan Scheelhaase have to be extremely happy facing a Purdue defense that allows an average of 38 points a game. The Illini offense is in the middle of the pack, averaging 30.2 points per game. Steve Hull has had his coming out party these past two weeks and now leads the team with 669 yards. Sophomore Josh Ferguson continues to excel as a pass catcher as the team desperately wants to end the Big Ten losing streak. The offense continues to carry the team on its back and this game will be no different.

Illinois defense vs. any semblance of a Purdue offense

Purdue does not have much of an offense. They rank 122nd among FBS teams in scoring, at 12.7 points per game. They average 65.4 yards rushing and 194.2 yards through the air. After getting manhandled in Big Ten play, this game represents a great opportunity for the Illini defense to make plays and feel good about themselves. Do not underestimate a game like this. A good defensive outing, on the road, can be a vital building block for this young defense heading into next year.

Illinois football vs. the Big Ten losing streak

20 games. Illinois football now owns the nations longest conference-losing streak. This is the giant monkey on the back for this program and the seniors are clamoring for a chance to end on a positive note. The Purdue Boilermakers are an excellent candidate to have their names in the record book as Tim Beckman’s first Big Ten victory. Who knows, maybe a win this weekend will be the start of good things to come for the program.