Illinois football spring season gets rolling this week

Illinois’ head coach Tim Beckman signals a face mask to a referee during the game against No. 3 Ohio State at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Ill.. on Nov. 16, 2013. The Illini lost, 60-35. The team looks to fill many roles formerly held by graduating seniors, including quarterback, for the coming season. 

The long road to football season begins this week for Illini football with spring practice Wednesday. Like any part of the team’s year — winter workouts, spring practice, summer camp or the regular season — head coach Tim Beckman has specific goals for his team.

Every player posted a piece of paper with his spring goals on the wall of his locker Thursday. In addition, Beckman has set three goals for the team this spring: Create a physical atmosphere, be competitive and let leaders emerge.

With players like Nathan Scheelhaase, Steve Hull, Jonathan Brown and Corey Lewis gone, the Illini are in need of leaders. And with a roster of 90-plus players, there are plenty of names to choose from.

Beckman feels like this is the deepest team he has had at Illinois. The Illini return 19 of the 22 defensive players on the two-deep depth chart from last season. They return 15 on offense.

But it wouldn’t be spring football without position battles. Returning talent just means those battles will be more intense.

Offense

Bill Cubit believes Illinois’ offense can be the best in the Big Ten.

That thought would have seemed delusional a year ago. But considering the Illini jumped from 12th to fifth in total offense in the Big Ten during Cubit’s first year as offensive coordinator, it’s not as outlandish an idea.

The key is taking the offense to the next step. Cubit harps to his players about not leaving yards out on the field. A cut here rather than there for a running back or wide receiver can be the difference between 10 yards and 20.

“When I went back and watched all the tape, those things add up,” Cubit said. “And then if we play faster and get some more plays up, then where are we sitting?”

It might not be the first order of business, but finding a quarterback might be the most pivotal. Without Scheelhaase, quarterbacks Reilly O’Toole, Wes Lunt and Aaron Bailey will duke it out this spring for the starting spot.

Lunt figures to be the favorite with Bailey as a quality second option. O’Toole, while stating that he wants to be the starter, figures to be the biggest long shot.

Beckman does not have a timetable on when a quarterback decision will be made. He hopes to be close to naming a starter by the end of the spring but didn’t say he necessarily would.

Defense

Tim Banks’ defense was young in 2013, and because of that, its returns all but three key contributors. Seniors Brown and Tim Kynard as well as junior Houston Bates — who recently made his intent to transfer official — will not be back for the Illini.  

But the rest of the defense returns. T.J. Neal is a likely candidate to start in Brown’s linebacker spot. Beckman said Earnest Thomas III is being moved from safety to the STAR position. Mike Svetina, who started at STAR in all but one game last season, has been moved to linebacker.

Beckman emphasized that all positions were being penciled in, and nothing is set in stone at this point on offense or defense.

“Every job will be up for grabs,” Banks said. “We’ve got a little bit better competition this year.”

Departed players

Running back Dami Ayoola and defensive lineman Vontrell Williams are no longer members of the Illinois football team. Ayoola was dismissed from the team in September before attempting to work his way back onto the roster in December. Williams did not play in 2013 after redshirting the 2012 season.

Illinois coaches declined to elaborate on the circumstances of either of their dismissals from the team.

Sean can be reached at [email protected] and @sean_hammond.