NCAA suspends softball coach Terri Sullivan for two games

Illini head coach Terry Sullivan argues with an umpire over a controversial call at a game in 2011. Sullivan was suspended for two games after having a lengthy argument with umpires in a game against Michigan on Saturday.

By Charlotte Carroll

The NCAA has suspended Illinois head softball coach Terri Sullivan for inappropriate conduct during Saturday’s game against No. 4 Michigan.

The suspension comes days after Sullivan had a lengthy argument with  umpires about a controversial overturned call.

The ruling came in the bottom of the seventh when the Illini trailed the Wolverines 6-5 and the winning run was at the plate for Illinois.

With pinch runner Danielle Trezzo on second, sophomore Remeny Perez hit a grounder back to the pitcher. The pitcher threw to first to record the out. Trezzo came too far off the bag at second and the first baseman threw to second.

The umpire originally called Trezzo safe, but after the umpires conferred, the call was overturned. Sullivan then left the dugout to argue with the umpires and was ejected from the remainder of the game.

Sullivan will miss the first two games of the team’s series this weekend against Penn State and will return to coaching on Sunday for the regular season finale.

“Good calls, bad calls are part of the game,” Sullivan said at Monday’s practice before the suspension. “You really just have to handle whatever comes your way. In the fifth inning, sixth inning, we had bases loaded with one out. You need to take care of business on your own. Don’t worry about the things you can’t control. It’s a matter of principle as well as handling the games, in my opinion.” 

This is Sullivan’s first suspension in her 15 years as head coach.

Charlotte can be reached at [email protected] and @charlottecrrll.