Baseball players are getting too sensitive

The Baltimore Orioles’ Manny Machado reacts after striking out in the first inning against the Texas Rangers on Thursday, June 5, 2014, at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas. The Rangers won, 8-6.

Baseball has always been a game of respect, but player sensitivity is growing too wide.

The line to cross when offending another player has quickly been pushed closer this season, most recently seen earlier this weekend when Baltimore’s Manny Machado caused the benches to clear when he “didn’t agree on the tag” that Oakland third baseman Josh Donaldson made, believing it was too hard.

Or later in the series when the benches cleared again after Machado’s tried to launch a bat at Oakland A’s pitcher Fernando Abad after an inside pitch late in the eighth inning. But don’t blame Machado entirely for the heat on that one: Abad threw at him after Machado incidentally made contact with catcher Derek Norris on his back-swing.

When the benches cleared in these situations, nothing happened — similar to most bench-clearing incidents. They’re merely to voice discontent and anger, but never fail in embarrassing the organizations and the game.

Baseball players rarely let fists fly on the field and try to resolve issues through pitchers hitting batters. But when those pitchers are slinging fastballs in the high 90s at batters, there’s a bigger risk put into play above letting the other team know you’re upset.

It’s quite obvious the danger is high for batters taking pitches in the body, but just in case anyone’s forgotten, meet Adam Greenberg.

The promising Chicago Cubs prospect was hit in head by the first pitch he saw in the major leagues by Florida Marlins pitcher Valerio de los Santos. Greenberg suffered a concussion that saw him nearly carried off the field after his eyes rolled back into his head and he collapsed to the dirt, clutching the back of his head. But let’s keep trying to recreate that moment for more players while trying to make a point.

The way baseball players retaliate are increasingly dangerous, now with batters swinging bats out into the field, but it’s the over-sensitive reasoning at which these justices are handed out that’s getting ridiculous.

Sean is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected] and @Neumannthehuman.