Improving educational experience for athletes proves necessary

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

Last Saturday, after injuring his head, University of Michigan quarterback Shane Morris was put back into the game by coach Brady Hoke. Morris had trouble standing up, and he appeared woozy to both those in the stands and those watching on television at home. 

Morris, who was later diagnosed with a concussion, is not starting for the Wolverines this week. 

Fans grew upset over the coach’s decision, but the student-athlete was nonetheless put back in danger on the field and no one faced any penalties.

Whatever responsibilities Morris had as a student were suddenly compromised when his safety was put at risk for the sake of the game.

This injury would clearly have an impact on Morris’ ability to be a healthy, productive student, as well as put the fate of his athletic scholarship in jeopardy.

On Wednesday, however, fans of college athletics received a breath of fresh air. 

The Big Ten announced that it is asking the National Collegiate Athletic Association to approve measures that will help improve the educational experience of all student-athletes. 

Too often in college athletics, student-athletes’ identities as students are overlooked — we often don’t acknowledge the rigor associated with pursuing an athletic career and a college degree concurrently.

First, these measures would help students receive aid for all of their costs of education — not just tuition, fees, housing and books, but also travel and other miscellaneous expenses. 

This is especially helpful because many student-athletes don’t have time to get jobs with all of the time they put into their sports. 

Second, the Big Ten asked that all scholarships be guaranteed for four years. “If a student-athlete is no longer able to compete, for whatever reason, there should be no impact on institutions’ commitment to deliver an undergraduate education,” the measure read. 

We endorse this wholeheartedly. 

Third, scholarships would be available for life. If student-athletes want to go pro and eventually come back to school, they won’t be penalized for it by losing their scholarship.

Lastly, all student-athletes would have improved and consistent medical insurance — a no-brainer when so many get hurt playing their sport for the University. 

We think that this move is a fantastic step forward for the conference and college athletics as a whole. 

Quarterbacks are put back into games with concussions; top basketball recruits use college as a one-year pit stop on their way to the pros, often not even attending classes for the entire second semester; nonrevenue student-athletes are limited to fewer scholarships than starting spots, causing shifts to make the numbers work and best athletes benefit.

But this proposal gives all athletes a chance. 

The ones who leave early are able to later make up for it after the short-earning period on their physical skills is over. The ones who are unable to keep playing are able to have a future after their sport.