Big Ten power rankings: Week 8

By Daily Illini Staff Report

1. MICHIGAN STATE (LAST WEEK: 1)

The Spartans’ offense exploded for 532 yards in Saturday’s 45-31 win over Purdue.

2. OHIO STATE (2)

The Buckeyes have averaged 44.6 points per game this season, showing off a threatening offense that has continued to strive without starting quarterback Braxton Miller under center.

3. NEBRASKA (3)

Ameer Abdullah is leading the way for the Cornhuskers, with 10 touchdowns and an average of 146.3 yards per game this season.

4. WISCONSIN (5)

The Badgers ran for 401 yards in Saturday’s win over Illinois, showing off one of the best rushing games in the conference.

5. Iowa (4)

The Hawkeyes’ 28-point first quarter buried Indiana quickly on Saturday, ending with a 45-29 win.

6. MINNESOTA (7)

The Golden Gophers never trailed Northwestern on Saturday, holding off the Wildcats for a 24-17 win.

7. NORTHWESTERN (6)

The Wildcats cooled off Saturday, losing for the first time in four games, 24-17 to Minnesota.

8. MARYLAND (9)

The Terrapins’ 34.7 points per game have kept them in the middle of the Big Ten pack.

9. PENN STATE (8)

The Nittany Lions fell to a Michigan team that had its back against the wall. Penn State’s offense was shut out in the second half, losing 18-13.

10. MICHIGAN (11)

The Wolverines’ defense came up big Saturday, only allowing Penn State 54 rushing yards and 13 points.

11. RUTGERS (10)

The Scarlet Knights’ defense leads the conference in sacks (24) and has kept the team out of the bottom of the Big Ten.

12. PURDUE (13)

The Boilermakers were able to muster up 31 points on 340 yards of total offense, but fell to Michigan State 45-31. 

13. INDIANA (12)

The Hoosiers (3-3) are playing .500 ball, but running back Tevin Coleman leads the conference with 1,060 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns.

14. ILLINOIS (14)

The Illini came up empty again Saturday, losing to Wisconsin 38-28 — their fourth loss in five games.