Illini volleyball depth leads to win over Penn State

By Nicholas Edward David Fortin

The Illinois volleyball team is deep, perhaps one of the deepest teams during Kevin Hambly’s tenure as head coach, and that fact was proven on Saturday.

While senior opposite side hitter Liz McMahon and junior outside hitter Jocelynn Birks led the way offensively for the Illini, with 17 and 19 kills respectively, other key contributors struggled early on against Penn State.

“They did very well,” Hambly said. “Birks played great. McMahon struggled just a little bit to get some rhythm on the right side. We rely on her of course, she scores a lot of points and she did a nice job.”

Senior outside hitter Morganne Criswell was one of those key contributors who didn’t get into a rhythm in the match. Criswell struggled to get going offensively, playing in only one set and recording no kills on two attempts against the Nittany Lions.

Criswell’s slow start didn’t hinder the Illini for long as the team’s depth allowed Hambly to make the switch to fellow outside hitter Katie Roustio for the rest of the match.

Roustio finished with a career-high 11 kills and proved that Illinois’ depth can be used at any moment.

Along with Roustio, junior defensive specialist Julia Conard also saw more time on the court against the Nittany Lions and made the most of it. Conard finished the match with a career-high and team-leading 18 digs.

While Hambly was impressed with the individual performances his team displayed, he said that the Illini’s performance as a team was more meaningful.

“Roustio did a great job,” Hambly said. “Julia Conard came in and did a nice job.

“It was a team effort when you go win. Volleyball’s about the team, it’s not about individuals.”

Mindset, system change contribute to Illini volleyball win

Following Wednesday night’s midweek loss to Ohio State, Hambly made a change.

Instead of sticking with the 6-2 rotation system the Illinois volleyball team adopted for this year, Hambly decided the Illini would switch back to a 5-1, the system the Illini ran last year.

Junior setter Alexis Viliunas, who had rotated around in the old system, was in the front line of the 5-1 on Saturday night and attacked more than she has been able to so far this season because of the change in system.

On top of her eight digs, Viliunas also finished the match with season-highs in kills, with three, and assists, with 47.

Despite a slow start, during which the Illini trailed 19-8 in the first set, the change worked. Illinois beat Penn State at home in four sets, breaking a 19-match home winning streak for the Nittany Lions in the process.

The system wasn’t the only thing that changed for Illinois over the weekend. After the team’s match against Minnesota earlier this season, Hambly said the Illini had grown up. On Saturday against Penn State Hambly said Illinois grew some more.

When asked where the team grew the most in the match he said the team’s growth wasn’t physical, technical or skill-based. Instead, Hambly said it was the Illini’s mindset that changed.

“It was more of ‘we’ve got to continue to attack, no matter what,’” Hambly said.

Illini road win more than impressive

Penn State is almost unbeatable at home.

Which is why the Illini’s four set win on the road, the program’s first against the Nittany Lions on the road in less than five sets, is notable for Illinois.

Before Saturday night’s loss to the No. 15 Illini (12-5, 4-2 Big Ten), the then-No. 5 Nittany Lions (16-3, 4-2) were on a 19-home match winning streak with their last loss coming on September 27th of 2013 to Michigan State.

Illinois has been the best of the Big Ten teams on the road against Penn State as of late, as the Illini have accounted for two of the three losses in the Nittany Lion’s last 97 home matches.

Given how infrequently Penn State loses at home, the win was a big deal for Illinois, but to Hambly it was just another win.

“It’s a big deal just because it’s hard (to win there) but it’s not overblown,” Hambly said. “It’s just a good win.”

Nicholas can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @IlliniSportsGuy.