Illini men’s basketball to host ‘Illini All In’ event

With renovations to State Farm Center still ongoing, the Illinois men’s basketball team will host the first-ever #ILLINIALLIN event. The event will take place at the Ubben Basketball Practice Facility on Sunday, Oct. 26, from 1-3:30 p.m. and will consist of an exclusive scrimmage only open to a select few Illini fans.

By Nicholas Edward David Fortin

In lieu of the annual Orange and Blue intrasquad scrimmage, the Illinois men’s basketball team will try something new to start the season.

With renovations to State Farm Center ongoing, the Illini will host the first-ever “Illini All In” event. The event will take place at the Ubben Basketball Practice Facility on Sunday, Oct. 26, from 1-3:30 p.m. and will consist of a scrimmage and other activities only open to a select few Illini fans.

According to a press release from the athletic department, the event will feature “complimentary food and drinks, courtside or balcony viewing for the team scrimmage, interaction with players and coaches including an autograph session, plus an Illini-themed gift.”

With high demand for access to the event, the athletic department is urging fans to communicate their interest in one of two ways. Illinois fans can either fill out an online ballot at fightingillini.com or tweet @IlliniHoops and use #ILLINIALLIN to tell the Illini why they deserve to be selected for the event.

In the same press release, the athletic department also encouraged potential participants to “be creative with their message, including the uploading of photos and videos” to show “why they are among the most passionate Illini fans around.”

University student and public season ticket holders will have priority in the selection process. Fans that aren’t selected for the event will still be able to watch the scrimmage live on fightingillini.com.

“We are excited to offer the ‘Illini All In’ event to our fans as the state-of-the-art renovations to State Farm Center continue,” Groce said in the press release. “We will be delivering one of the best basketball arenas in the country to our fans when the project is complete, and until then we are being creative in showcasing our program. We’re excited to open up our daily home to a full house of Illini fans, and especially our students. We value our students and the incredible home court advantage that they bring as we count on their support and frenetic energy throughout the season.”

Nicholas can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @IlliniSportsGuy.