Illini swimming begin seasons against Northwestern

Alison Meng starts off the first leg of the 200 yard medley relay event at the annual Orange and Blue exhibition meet at the ARC on Oct. 13, 2013. Meng, now a senior, led the team in event victories and total points last season.

By Dan Collins

After putting together its winningest season since 1999-2000, the Illinois swim team will begin its season this Friday with a matchup at Northwestern.

For the past two seasons, defeating Northwestern has been a tough task. The Illini have fallen short to their Big Ten rivals the past two seasons with losing scores of 169-131 in 2012 and 166-133 in 2013.

No lineup decisions have been made yet by head coach Sue Novitsky, who feels this season’s meet against the Wildcats will turn out to be another competitive one.

“I think it’s going to come down to those fourth and fifth place spots,” Novitsky said. “(Northwestern) has some strong kids in certain events, but we think we can put up a good match-up against them.”

Another winning season and moving up in the Big Ten standings were goals Novitsky set for this year’s team. The Illini finished in 12th place in the Big Ten standings last season with an overall dual meet record of 8-6-1, going undefeated at home.

“We’re looking to continue to have another winning dual meet record and to protect our home pool come January,” Novitsky said. 

Erica Lynn and Courtney Pope, who finished their collegiate careers on high notes last season, left roles that need to be filled. Novitsky is looking to the record-breaking performances of senior Alison Meng and the emergence of sophomore Gabbie Stecker last season to carry over and provide leadership for the team.

“You’re always going to graduate some, and you have to fill those spots,” Novitsky said. “Alison Meng is still going to be a force to contend with this season, as well as Megan Marchuk, a couple of seniors, Gabbie Stecker and Amelia Schilling.”

Meng is coming off a strong season and is regarded as one of the team’s top swimmers. Her accomplishments last year included leading the team in event victories and total points. 

“I would consider myself a leader. Being a senior, I’ve been here for four years, I feel me and the other seniors are on the same level as far as leadership,” Meng said. “(Staying) focused and in the moment is the most important thing. If we do that as a team, we can be successful.”

Sophomore Gabbie Stecker is looking to continue where she left off last season. Continued success could mean more school records for the sophomore. 

Currently, Stecker holds the ARC pool record for fastest individual times in the 500 and 1000 freestyle and 200 butterfly.

“Freshman year was really fun, and I learned the ropes,” Stecker said. “Every year is different, so it’ll be interesting to see what we can do this year.”

Daniel can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @chisports2.