Breast cancer match hits home for Illini’s Strizak

Illinois’ Michelle Strizak watches on after spiking the ball during the game against Minnesota at Huff Hall, on Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2014. The Illini won 3-0.

Since 2009, the Illinois volleyball team has hosted its Breast Cancer Awareness match, wearing pink jerseys to raise awareness.

The Illini auctioned off the pink jerseys, with the winner being able to place a name of their choosing on the back to recognize someone who has dealt with the disease.

Sophomore outside hitter Michelle Strizak was one of the Illini in pink Friday. The match carried a little extra bit of significance as the back of her jersey simply read: “Mom.”

“With Michelle’s mom having breast cancer, it means even more,” junior Alexis Viliunas said. “It’s a little bit closer to home this year.”

Strizak first learned of her mother’s condition after a victory over Purdue on Nov. 16 last season. Phyllis Strizak had stage two breast cancer.

To combat the disease, Strizak underwent six rounds of chemotherapy, along with surgery and radiation treatments. Despite living in Cincinnati, Strizak’s parents are regulars at Illini volleyball games, but Phyllis missed the end of the season last year. She wasn’t allowed to travel so far.

“Mish’s mom comes to a lot (of games), and those matches where she wasn’t there because she had cancer were really tough for Mish,” Viliunas said.

As time went on, bit by bit, her condition improved. Her cancer is now in remission, and she has been back in the stands this season.

The Illini took care of business against the Hoosiers, sweeping the match in three sets. With match point on the line, head coach Kevin Hambly motioned to the bench and brought Strizak onto the court. While checking in at the 10-foot line, the Huff Hall faithfully gave her the loudest cheer of the night.

She didn’t get an attempt, and the Illini closed out Indiana one point later, but Strizak still thought it was an important moment for her family.

“It’s always great to have your family up there,” Strizak said. “This has really shown how much appreciation I have for this experience.”

McMahon named finalist for Senior CLASS Award

Senior opposite side hitter Liz McMahon was named one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS Award. The award is given for achievements on and off the court in four areas: community, classroom, competition and character.

She is one of two players in the Big Ten still eligible for the award along with Michigan State’s Kori Moster.

The award will be announced during the NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship. A fan vote will count toward one-third of the decision, while Division I coaches and national media members will constitute the final two-thirds.

McMahon is second on the team with 251 kills and 3.26 kills per set. She also ranks first among outside hitters on the team with 0.95 blocks per set.

Off the court, McMahon holds a 3.85 GPA in recreation, sport and tourism and has been named Academic All-Big Ten twice in her first three seasons.

Stephen can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @steve_bourbon.