Illinois vs. Ohio State: Three matchups to watch

Illinois’ head coach Tim Beckman looks toward the scoreboard during the homecoming game against Minnesota at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 25. The Illini won 28-24.

By Trisha Christakes

Tim Beckman picked up his second-ever Big Ten win as Illinois head coach against Minnesota last weekend. He thinks it might have been the bye week or the Gray Ghost homecoming uniforms. Regardless, the Illini fought for their first Big Ten win this season and hope their momentum will follow through once they face the Ohio State Buckeyes on Saturday. 

Urban Meyer vs. Tim Beckman 

Urban Meyer and Tim Beckman coached two seasons together at Bowling Green. Meyer was the head coach who retained Beckman as the Falcons’ defensive coordinator for the 2001 and 2002 seasons. Beckman was hired as the Buckeyes’ cornerbacks coach for two seasons beginning in 2005. Beckman is 0-4 as a head coach against Ohio State and 0-2 against Meyer. 

J.T. Barrett vs. Illinois 

Ohio State enters the game having won 19 consecutive Big Ten regular season games. The Buckeyes have scored a touchdown on their opening drive each of their last five games. Buckeyes quarterback J.T. Barrett has thrown 18 touchdown passes with only three interceptions in the last five games. Barrett leads the Big Ten in total offense with 306.7 yards per game, and is also ranked first in the Big Ten and second in the NCAA in pass efficiency. It’s no secret that Barrett can get the job done, and it’ll be interesting to see if the Illini can hold up against them. 

Battle for the Illibuck

Illinois and Ohio State play for the Illibuck trophy, a wooden replica of a turtle that is one of the three Illini’s trophy games. The Buckeyes lead the all-time series 62-23-2. Illinois last took the trophy with a 28-21 win in Columbus in 2007. Although the Buckeyes are the favorite to keep the Illibuck in Columbus, leading Illini tacklers junior Mason Monheim and senior Zane Petty might be able to keep Illinois in the game if they play the way they did last week against Minnesota.