Why The Game matters

No tradition has more historical significance than The Game between Yale and Harvard.

By Erik Prado

When watching any of the 128 FBS teams this weekend, take a moment to bask in everything happening on the field, from Ohio State dominating Indiana to USC clashing with UCLA at the historic Rose Bowl.

As the season enters the final weeks and the College Football Playoff talk intensifies with every possible day, there is one game that everyone should watch because it is the most important.

That game, is The Game.

Harvard and Yale are far from football powerhouse schools. They pump out the leaders of tomorrow, from politicians to Mark Zuckerberg’s. They don’t pump out football players.

But none of that matters this Saturday at 11:30 a.m. If it were not for Harvard and Yale, football as we know it may not exist.

The second-ever American football game was also the first in this rivalry on Nov. 13, 1875. Harvard won 4g, 2t-0. That is not an extraneous “t” in that score. Back in the waning days of Reconstruction, points from a kick (g) and touchdown (t) were counted as separate.

Five years later, it was Yale alumnus Walter Camp who created the game of football as it is now played. Called the “Father of American Football,” Camp was instrumental in proposing rules that created the line of scrimmage, the center-quarterback exchange and the four-down system, among other important parts of football.

The sport spread east to west, from the Ivy League to what would become the Big Ten. The first year Illinois fielded a football team was 1890.

To say Harvard and Yale have been instrumental in football’s history is an understatement, but it’s a history every football fan should know. Contrary to popular belief, Alabama and rest of the SEC are not the most influential programs in the sport’s history.

One hundred and thirty nine years have passed since the first game, with only 10 matchups skipped, four of them due to the two World Wars. No other rivalry in college football has this kind of tradition.

I’m well aware that Yale has only won twice since 2000. I’m also well aware that this game won’t be the most exciting game on TV this weekend.

However, this game isn’t so much about the on-field results as it is about the pageantry of college football. The week-long festivities before, during and after embody the sport.

Even ESPN College Gameday recognizes the historical significance of this game and is going to Cambridge for the first time — ever.

It’s funny, and sad, that a game between Ivy League schools is the site of a national pregame show that has never been to Champaign-Urbana. But then again, those national guys don’t have an reason to visit the cornfields of a bad football program. One day, though, one day.

The only noteworthy game on at the same time is No. 25 Minnesota against No. 23 Nebraska. Big Ten games are fun and all, but they don’t hold a candle to The Game.

You never know, Saturday’s meeting between the two could produce a game that’ll be talked about 139 years from now.

Erik is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @e_prada.