NFL Combine: College quarterbacks beyond Mariota and Winston

The nation’s top college football players have descended upon Indianapolis this week for the NFL Scouting Combine. It’s a sign that the NFL Draft is coming, and the big event’s biggest question is Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston? That will be endlessly analyzed over the coming weeks, but which quarterbacks are available behind the last two Heisman Trophy winners?

Falling Star: Brett Hundley — UCLA

After last year’s draft, Brett Hundley was considered a can’t-miss prospect behind only Mariota and Winston. He had a chance to declare for the 2014 draft and seemed to be a sure-fire first round pick. That perception has changed and Hundley seems to be a Day 2 pick now.

UCLA didn’t perform as well as it was projected to this year and Hundley’s stock has gone down. His biggest asset is his raw athleticism. The word on Hundley is that he has all of the physical tools to be a professional quarterback, but has trouble with the decision-making necessary to succeed. Hundley will participate in all of the drills at this week’s combine. A strong showing could remind teams of his potential.

Spread Stat Machine: Bryce Petty – Baylor

During Senior Bowl practices, Bryce Petty told the media that he thinks he is the top quarterback prospect in the draft. Petty commanded the high-flying Baylor offense for two years and put up enormous numbers. But he has never run a pro-style offense, and there’s a question of how much of his success is due to Baylor’s system rather than his skill.

After his bold statement prior to the Senior Bowl, Petty didn’t really blow anyone away at the game, throwing for 123 yards and an interception. Scouts have said he struggles with covered receivers and facing pressure in the pocket.

Both Petty and Winston met with Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh this week to prepare for the combine. Petty will need to show teams that he can run an NFL offense if he wants to move up from a spot in the mid-to-late rounds.

Chance for a Comeback: Connor Halliday – Washington State

Petty put up big numbers at Baylor, but Halliday set the NCAA passing record this season with 734 yards in a losing effort against California. Late in the season, though, Halliday suffered a gruesome leg injury that ended his college career.

Halliday will be attending the combine, but he can’t participate in workouts. He could still be a seventh-round pick, but it will be difficult without a chance to impress scouts and prove he has recovered from his injury.

Dark Horse: Garrett Grayson – Colorado State

Grayson is considered the best quarterback prospect from outside the Power 5 conferences in this year’s draft. He led the Rams to a 10-3 record last season, their best since 2000. Grayson was one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the county last year. He’s the all-time leader in passing yards at CSU and was the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year in 2014.

Grayson will probably be a mid-to-late round pick, as he has trouble outside of the pocket, but he could improve his stock by showing off his arm at the combine.

Chris can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @ChrisKennedy_4.