Defensive errors have plagued Illinois softball early in season

By Cole Henke

The Illinois softball team’s defense was supposed to be one of its strong points entering the season. Through their first 23 games of the season, however, the Illini (8-15) have committed 26 errors defensively.

This has led to the Illini’s opponents scoring 32 unearned runs this season — the Illini have been outscored by opponents 152-113 this season.

Junior captain and infielder Allie Bauch was part of last year’s infield unit that set the Illinois record for most double plays turned in a season. Bauch leads the Illini with nine errors this season and committed three this past weekend alone.

“The defensive errors are really hurting us,” Bauch said. “It’s what’s losing us these games. I made too many this weekend.”

Illini no-hit by Bruins

The Illini had the opportunity to play the No. 13 UCLA Bruins twice this weekend but did not take advantage, losing 14-0 and 9-2.

The story for the Bruins was senior pitcher Ally Carda, who no-hit the Illini in the first game on Friday, only walking three batters. It was Carda’s second no-hitter of the season and third of her career.

The loss Friday was the first time that the Illini had been no-hit since April 5, 2013 against Northwestern.

Head coach Terri Sullivan was disappointed with the Illini’s offensive effort against the Bruins.

“We came out and had a strong game against UC Davis (Friday morning),” Sullivan said. “We couldn’t carry that over to the next game (against UCLA). We just really need to work on our consistency with our offense.”

The lack of offense for the Illini in their second game came immediately after a 5-4 win against UC Davis. In the win, sophomore Nicole Evans hit two home runs, and Bauch hit a walk-off double.

Favorable schedule

The Illini start conference play on March 20th against Minnesota. After the non-conference portion of the schedule, the Illini are 12th in the Big Ten standings — Sullivan has been telling her team to treat Big Ten play like a second season.

The Illini only play eight Big Ten teams in the regular season and do not face No. 3-ranked Michigan. Of the eight teams they play, only Purdue, Minnesota and Maryland are entering conference play with winning records.

The Illini also play series against Iowa and Indiana, the only two teams that enter Big Ten play with worse records than the Illini.

@cole_Henke