Sophomores provide veteran Illinois baseball with jolt

Illinois’ Will Krug bunts the ball during the baseball game vs. Chicago State at Illinois Field on Tuesday. Illinois won 7-3.

By Michal Dwojak, Assistant sports editor

The theme for the Illinois baseball team heading into the season was experience. Illinois has mostly juniors and seniors who have the experience needed to make a strong postseason run.

There are two exceptions to that theme, though: sophomores Pat McInerney and Matthew James.

With the team’s recent offensive struggles, the two have sparked a team trying to find the right offensive lineup, playing as the designated hitter or in the outfield.

“Pat and Matt have tremendously stepped up,” senior outfielder Casey Fletcher said. “Even though they’re sophomores, they’re playing like veteran players. They keep swinging it well, and they’re going to keep on helping us win.”

The two have taken advantage of a shuffling lineup — McInerney and James have each played 16 games this season, batting .383 and .343, respectively, good for second and third on the team for players who have taken at least six at-bats — senior Reid Roper leads the team with a .388 average.

Both were important in Illinois’ Saturday and Sunday wins over Southern Illinois. In three games over the weekend, McInerney hit 5-for-11, including 3-for-3 Sunday, when he hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth to seal a win against the Salukis. James went 2-for-6 in two games and scored one of three runs in the eighth that padded Saturday’s win.

Head coach Dan Hartleb mentioned the maturity each player has shown compared with his freshman season. Each has slowed the game down, creating a better opportunity to compete at the plate.

McInerney attributed his recent success to stability and adjusting to college, both on the field and in the classroom.

“I’m just more comfortable,” McInerney said. “I just need to stay consistent … and keep the same approach I’ve had. If it works, I just need to stay with it the entire time.”

Krug sits to think

Senior outfielder Will Krug is not where he wants to be offensively 19 games into the season.

After finishing fourth on the team in batting average last season, hitting .307 with 24 RBIs, 10 doubles and a .391 slugging percentage, the senior is batting .190 through 19 games with six RBIs and a .206 slugging percentage.

Krug went 1-for-3 with a strikeout in Friday’s game against the Salukis and didn’t play the remaining two games of the series. Hartleb figured that Krug needed some time away from the game and to overcome the mental hurdle he’s facing at the plate.

“Will’s a good player. He just puts too much pressure on himself,” Hartleb said. “His is never a lack of effort or desire or anything else. He’s just so hard on himself and just lets it eat away at him.”

Krug admits the poor offensive production is something he needs to improve on the field. When it’s time to take a break from the game, he needs to take his mind off of it too.

“I just need to try not to think about it too much,” Krug said. “It comes down to getting out there and playing.”

Reid Roper sits out game for ejection

Roper was suspended for Sunday’s game due his ejection from Saturday’s game against Southern Illinois.

The ejection occurred in the seventh inning with two men on base. Roper hit a ball deep down the right field line that he thought was a home run. However, the umpire called it a foul ball, and Roper responded to by spiking his helmet into the ground, drawing an immediate ejection.

“I thought my reaction was wrong,” Roper said. “It cost me the rest of the game and the next day, which is really disappointing … I obviously learned the lesson.”

@mdwojak94