Illinois baseball splits first two in Big Ten opener

Illinois’ Adam Walton (6) makes contact with the ball during the game against Lindenwood University at Illinois Field, on Wednesday, March 18. The Illini won 7-1.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

The last time the Illinois baseball team played a Big Ten game, the team suffered a blowout 11-2 loss at the hands of Michigan State in the third round of the Big Ten tournament in May.

Although the setting was different and much colder in East Lansing, Michigan this weekend, the Illini’s Big Ten opening series had a similar level of intensity.

The three-game series was scheduled to start Friday but was pushed back a day due to the cold weather. Illinois (19-6-1, 1-1 Big Ten) split two games with Michigan State (12-12, 2-3), winning 8-4 Saturday and losing 5-2 Sunday. The Illini and the Spartans will face off in the series finale Monday.

“From a pitching and defensive standpoint, we didn’t do what we need to do (on Sunday),” senior outfielder Casey Fletcher said, “We need to improve on that if we want to play like a championship team.”

The Illini wasted no time Saturday. After shortstop Adam Walton led the game with a walk, he advanced to third on a failed pickoff attempt by Spartan pitcher Mick VanVossen. The next batter, left fielder Ryan Nagle, ripped a single to right field to score Walton and give Illinois a 1-0 lead.

Illinois continued its scoring in the third when right fielder Pat McInerney came to the plate with the bases loaded. The sophomore walked, pushing Walton home from third and center fielder Casey Fletcher followed with a ground out to VanVossen that scored Nagle. Catcher Jason Goldstein finished the inning’s scoring with a sacrifice fly to score second baseman Reid Roper and give Illinois a 4-0 lead.

Designated hitter Matthew James sparked another three-run inning in the sixth when he ripped a double over the Spartan left fielder to score Fletcher and David Kerian. Ryne Roper squeezed a single through the left side to score James and give Illinois a 7-1 lead. Fletcher added an RBI single down the left field line to score Walton from second and give Illinois its eighth and final run.

Pitcher Kevin Duchene kept the Spartans at bay, striking out five batters and giving up one run in six innings of work. Since Illinois held a six-run lead and Duchene threw 91 pitches, the coaching staff turned to the bullpen, which allowed three runs in the seventh. Junior closer Tyler Jay came in the eighth to get out of a jam and secured the save in the ninth.

Michigan State struck first Sunday in the bottom of the second when Spartan center fielder Anthony Cheky doubled to right to drive in a run. Illinois responded in the third when outfielder Will Krug doubled down the right-field line with two outs. Walton then singled up the middle to drive in Krug and tie the game 1-1.

Illinois starting pitcher Drasen Johnson found himself in a jam in the fifth after allowing two singles to lead off the inning. The Illini forced the out at home with a fielder’s choice, but two singles and a groundout gave the Spartans a 4-1 lead before the senior could force a pop out to end the inning. Michigan State added a run in the eighth before Illinois first baseman David Kerian hit a solo home run in the ninth, extending his hitting streak to 12 games. Adam Walton was picked off at first base to give the Spartans a 5-2 win.

“We didn’t have all our elements like we usually do,” Krug said. “We just didn’t get the ball into play like we like to.”

The two conference foes will play the series rubber match Monday afternoon. At the beginning of the season, the team set a goal of winning every series this season, and with the first Big Ten series on the line, that goal is being tested right away.

“(On Monday), we just have to get after the starting pitcher and get into the bullpen like we always do,” Fletcher said. “If we do that, then we’ll be able to compete.”

@mdwojak94