Consistent offense helps Illinois baseball win rubber match

Illinois’ Jason Goldstein stretches in an attempt to tag Lindenwood University’s Sean Keeney during its game at Illinois Field on March 18. 

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

The Illinois baseball team needed contributions from its entire lineup in order to win Monday’s rubber match in its series against Michigan State in East Lansing, Michigan.

Michigan State evened the series at one after the Illini’s poor offensive performance in Sunday’s game, but Illinois rebounded Monday. Behind consistent offense, the Illini (20-6-1, 2-1 Big Ten) created a large lead early and withstood a late Spartans (12-13, 2-4) push to win 13-9.

“We just battled one through nine,” catcher Jason Goldstein said. “When the game became tight again, we didn’t settle for only a few runs, and we found a way to get the win.”

As in Saturday’s series opener, Illinois’ offense wasted little time getting after Michigan State’s starting pitcher. Right fielder Casey Fletcher singled up the middle to lead off the second against the Spartans’ Anthony Misiewicz. Goldstein and first baseman David Kerian followed with singles to load the bases for third baseman Ryne Roper.

The sophomore started the scoring with a single into right field to score Fletcher. Misiewicz struggled to get out of the jam — he walked the next batter, center fielder Will Krug, and ball four was a wild pitch, which allowed two runners to score and the senior to reach second base. Shortstop Adam Walton added a two-run single before Michigan State escaped the inning trailing 5-0.

The Illini loaded the bases again in the fourth after a Roper double down the left-field line, a Krug walk and a Walton single into left. The team failed to make a major dent with no outs. Left fielder Ryan Nagle hit into a double play that scored Ryne Roper, but Reid Roper flied out to end the inning with a 6-0 lead.

Illinois added another run in the fifth when Goldstein hit an RBI double to left center to score Fletcher, who had reached on a walk and stolen second. The team tacked on three more runs in the seventh to give Illinois a comfortable 10-2 lead.

“We were aggressive,” Walton said. “We hit them in the right places. We moved runners, hit behind runners and it put us in the right position to win.”

With such a strong offensive display, pitcher John Kravetz had more than enough support. The senior pitched five scoreless innings before giving up a pair of runs in the sixth. With two men on base in the inning and the Illini leading 10-2, junior reliever J.D. Nielsen replaced Kravetz. Michigan State scored three runs in the frame and scored four runs in the eighth to cut Illinois’ lead to 10-9.

Despite the attempted Michigan State comeback, the Illini added three insurance runs in the ninth: Pat McInerney and Goldstein scored on two wild pitches and a Walton single scored Kerian from third. Closer Tyler Jay came in to secure the 13-9 win.

“They put some good swings on some pitches,” head coach Dan Hartleb said. “The same group was pitching well a few weeks back, so it just depends on the pitches being thrown.”

There will be little time for rest as the team travels to Sauget, Illinois, where it will play Missouri on Tuesday. For Hartleb and his team, the grind of games and travel isn’t an issue, as the importance of each game outweighs the other distractions.

@mdwojak94