Illini baseball squeezes past Billikens for seventh-straight win

Illinois’ Ryan Nagle swings for the ball during the baseball game vs. Saint Louis at Illinois Field on Wednesday. Illinois continued their hot streak with this victory.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

The Illinois baseball team makes it a goal to get after the opponent’s starting pitcher every time it takes the field. Once the starter is shelved, the Illini offense can get after the opponent’s bullpen and do damage.

St. Louis was the latest victim of the game plan as the Billikens used five different pitchers to try to contain head coach Dan Hartleb’s team. The effort was to no avail, as Illinois (26-6-1, 5-1 Big Ten) won the midweek matchup 7-2, extending its win streak to seven.

“Getting at the starter is big. Scoring some runs to help out starter is always big,” said left fielder Ryan Nagle, who hit 2-for-4 with three RBIs.

St. Louis (21-11, 4-2 Atlantic 10) wasted little time getting after Illinois pitcher Rob McDonnell, starting the game off with a double. After a fielder’s choice at third, the Billkens hit a single and catcher Jake Henson doubled to give St. Louis the 1-0 lead. The senior managed to get out of the jam with a strikeout and forced groundout.

Third baseman Ryne Roper was Illinois’ first base runner when he was walked to lead off the inning. Krug responded with a slow grounder that was bobbled by St. Louis shortstop and Illinois shortstop Adam Walton hit into a fielder’s choice that led to a first and third situation for the Illini. Nagle blasted a double past the St. Louis third baseman to give Illinois the 2-1 lead.

The Illini tacked on three more runs in the fourth. Catcher Jason Goldstein slapped a double that just stayed fair down the left-field line and right fielder Casey Fletcher drove him in with a single to give Illinois the 3-1 lead. After a David Kerian walk and a Matthew James fielder’s choice, Roper hit a blooper into left field that scored Fletcher from third.

Krug followed it up with a walk and Walton struck out. Nagle then lined a hit that scored James, but Roper was tagged out at home, ending the inning.

Illinois added two more insurance runs in the sixth when Krug and James scored on a throwing error on a routine ground ball. The two runs gave Illinois the 7-2 lead.

After the rocky start to the game, McDonnell settled down the rest of the way. The senior pitched 5 2/3 innings, struck out seven, gave up seven hits and two earned runs. After getting two outs in the sixth, McDonnell gave up two doubles, and St. Louis cut Illinois’ lead to 5-2. Nick Blackburn came into the game and got out of the jam and was spotless in the seventh. Closer Tyler Jay came in the last two innings to secure the win.

Hartleb knew his bullpen could get the job done without McDonnell having to throw more pitches.

“Rob was up in pitch totals, and we could’ve left him out there, but that’s what we have a bullpen for,” Hartleb said. “I thought Nick did and good job and then we get Tyler in there for the last two innings.”

@mdwojak94