Illini baseball gets full-team effort in weekend wins against Purdue

Illinois’ Pat McInerney (27) pops up ball during the baseball game v. Purdue at Illinois Field on Sunday, April 12. The Illini won 5-1.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

The Illinois baseball team demonstrated why it is ranked highly in so many college polls in two games against Purdue over the weekend. With a strong offensive performance Saturday and shutdown pitching Sunday, the Illini (28-6-1, 7-1 Big Ten) won the first two games of a three-game series against Purdue (11-23, 1-7), bringing their winning streak to nine games.

“Once we get those first two (games), we put ourselves into a good position, which is always the goal,” said second baseman Reid Roper. “We just need to capitalize (on Monday) because at the end of the year it could come down to one game.”

The Illini scored seven runs on three home runs during Saturday’s game. The rout began in the first inning when Purdue starting pitcher Shane Bryant walked shortstop and leadoff hitter Adam Walton. Roper scored Walton from third on a flyout after Ryan Nagle singled to put runners on the corners.

Outfielder Casey Fletcher drove in Nagle from third after a Jason Goldstein single and outfielder Pat McInerney blasted a home run over the left-center wall, giving Illinois a 5-0 lead.

Illinois continued to batter Bryant in the second. Walton hit a double into right center after Ryne Roper led off the inning with a pop out. Nagle wasted little time, hitting a two-run shot into right field just under the scoreboard and just over Purdue’s Ted Snidanko’s glove.

The fireworks continued in the fourth. Nagle hit a single that was bobbled by the shortstop with two outs in the inning. Reid Roper hit a two-run shot into deep center field, giving Illinois a 9-1 lead.

The Illini had the bases loaded in the fifth with no outs but only scored one run in the inning on a Zack Kolakowski groundout.

Starting pitcher Kevin Duchene had little trouble keeping Purdue off the scoreboard. Despite allowing eight hits, the junior pitched out of jams and only allowed one run in game. He finished his day with six strikeouts.

Purdue scored three runs in the seventh and one in the eighth off of reliever Charlie Naso. The junior gave up five hits and three earned runs. Cody Sedlock came in and pitched 1 1/3 innings to hold the 10-5 Illini win.

Purdue got on the board in the first during Sunday’s game — stringing together a pair of hits and fielders choice to score a run. But the lead was short-lived: Illinois tied the game in the second on a double steal to second and home.

Illinois opened up the game in the fifth when Purdue starting pitcher Brett Haan allowed a single and a double to start the inning. Tim McElroy, who came on in relief, walked Nagle and gave up a triple to Reid Roper, which cleared the bases and gave Illinois the 4-1 lead. Goldstein tacked on another run with a flyout to center.

Johnson settled down after the first inning. The senior pitched eight innings, struck out four batters and gave up six hits. He retired 12-straight batters to keep Purdue away and secure the 5-1 lead.

“Drasen was outstanding,” said head coach Dan Hartleb. “Drasen worked out of (the first inning jam) and from that point on he was in command all day.”

Illinois will try for its second series sweep of the season under the lights Monday evening at Illinois Field.

@mdwojak94