Illinois baseball wins 14th-straight game

Illinois’ Nick Blackburn (22) throws a pitch during the game against Eastern Illinois at Illinois Field. The Illini won 10-1.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

It took the Illinois baseball team a few innings to warm up the bats against Eastern Illinois Tuesday evening, but once the Illini started to heat up midway through the game, they never looked back.

Illinois (33-6-1, Big Ten 10-1) scored six of its eight runs in the fifth and sixth innings and used a strong pitching performance to win its 14th-straight game 10-1 over Eastern Illinois (7-28).

“Today was a tough one, we had to fight to earn it,” first baseman David Kerian said. “We had some timely hits that worked in favor for us and we were able to win the game.”

The second meeting between the instate rivals was much different than the first — Illinois won the first game 14-10. Eastern Illinois starting pitcher Andrew Grahn entered Tuesday’s game with an 7.80 ERA and 1-0 record in six appearances. For four innings, he silenced the Illini bats and held them hitless. Right fielder Casey Fletcher broke the hitless streak when he singled into right field to lead off the fifth. Kerian followed with a home run shot over the right-field fence.

Illinois broke the game open in the sixth, scoring four runs. The Illini loaded the bases with no outs after two walks and a single with Garrison Stenger pitching for Eastern Illinois. Designated hitter Pat McInerney struck out, but Fletcher ripped a single into right, scoring two runs and giving Illinois the 4-1 lead. The lead increased to 6-1 after two bases-loaded walks.

The Illini added four more insurance runs in the eighth. The 10 runs the team scored Tuesday are the most it has scored in seven games.

“We didn’t set our balls up early, but we didn’t panic,” head coach Dan Hartleb said. “Our guys were composed and competed until the end.”

Starting pitcher Rob McDonnell limited the Panthers after he struggled in the first inning. The senior led the game off by walking center fielder Joseph Duncan, who stole second and reached third on a groundout. Right fielder Caleb Howell grounded out to the second baseman, allowing Duncan to score to give Eastern Illinois the early 1-0 lead.

McDonnell blanked Eastern Illinois the rest of the way even though the Panthers did get on base — McDonnell escaped three straight innings with a man on third in the third, fourth and fifth inning, respectively. His night finished after six innings having given up one run on four hits and striking out six batters.

Reliever Nick Blackburn came into the game and held the Panthers scoreless in the seventh, and Tyler Jay pitched in the eighth and ninth and struck out three to secure the win.

“It was a good all-around pitching performance,” senior center-fielder Will Krug said. “Bob (Rob) got himself into tight spots but was able to pitch out of them and that’s part of his game.”

@mdwojak94