Illinois baseball picks up 18th win in a row

Illinois’ Rob McDonnell pitches during the game against Lindenwood University at Illinois Field on March 18.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

During the Illinois baseball team’s player and coach media availability session Monday, designated hitter Pat McInerney was asked what the Illini needed to do to make sure not to overlook Southern Illinois when the two met Tuesday night.

The sophomore began to answer before the question was finished and quickly pointed out that the Salukis handed the Illini one of their six losses this season. McInerney said there was no reason why Illinois should expect an easy victory in its trip to Carbondale, Illinois.

And it wasn’t easy, but behind another strong pitching performance from an Illini starter and a lineup that continues to hit well, the Illini (36-6-1, 13-1 Big Ten) won their 18th-straight game, 7-5 over the Salukis (10-35, 5-10 MVC).

Against the Salukis, the Illini continued their April long success at the plate. The team has only scored fewer than four runs twice this month — once against Northwestern on April 3 and once against Purdue on April 13. With Colin Holderman on the mound for Southern Illinois — the freshman entered the game with an 8.85 ERA in seven appearances and one start — the Illini bats had little trouble driving home runs.

Illinois scored six runs in the first four innings and chased Holderman out of the game after just three innings — five of the runs were credited to the right-handed pitcher. First baseman David Kerian drove in two of the runs with a single to left field in the first inning and one in the third on a flyout to center. The team added another run in the fifth.

Seven runs would be enough for the Illini. After Tuesday’s win, Illinois is 24-0 this season when it scores more than five runs. With 11 hits, the Illini offense provided another strong performance for the pitching staff to keep safe.

Pitcher Rob McDonnell made the start for the Illini. Of his eight starts this season, including Tuesday’s tilt, five have come in the middle of the week. Heading into the game, McDonnell held a 1.82 ERA and had struck out 46 opponents in 11 appearances and 49 1/3 innings pitched.

McDonnell stayed the course against the Salukis on Tuesday. The senior pitched six innings, struck out six and allowed six hits. He cruised for the first four innings before the Salukis broke up the shutout with two runs in the fifth and one in the sixth.

Despite the strong performance from McDonnell, the bullpen had some trouble with the Southern Illinois lineup. Sophomore Cody Sedlock came in relief in the seventh and got into some trouble when the Salukis scored two unearned runs. J.D. Nielsen came into the game in the eighth and pitched one scoreless inning. Nick Blackburn came in the ninth to get the final two outs and secure the 7-5 win for the Illini.

With this last win over Southern Illinois, the team has finished with a perfect April record (16-0) and now boasts the best winning percentage in the NCAA.

@mdwojak94