Current, former Illinois football players show support for Beckman on Twitter

Illinois’ head coach Tim Beckman congratulates Matt LaCosse (11) after a touchdown during the team’s game against Penn State at Memorial Stadium on Nov. 22, 2014. Several former and current players tweeted out support for Beckman on Thursday.

By Michal Dwojak, Staff writer

Current and former Illinois football players voiced their support for Illinois head football coach Tim Beckman and his staff on Twitter on Thursday amid allegations from former players of mistreatment by Beckman.

Players tagged their tweets with “#ProudIllini.” Many gave specific examples of support they had received from the coaching staff and others stated how happy they were with their decisions to play football at the school.

Former wide receiver Steve Hull — who played for Beckman for two of his five years at Illinois — was one of the former players who supported Beckman in numerous tweets.

“Through all the tough coaching, tirals and tribulations, rough patches, I felt nothing but love from my family,” Hull tweeted. “Throughout ALL my injuries – I was never forced to play. Always taken care of and made my own choices of fight through them. #ProudIllini”

Other former and current players sent out tweets in support, including injured wide receiver Mike Dudek and quarterback Jimmy Fitzgerald, who tweeted out that offensive coordinator Bill Cubit has checked in to see how injured running back Dre Brown has handled the torn ACL he suffered during spring practice.

The tweets appeared after numerous former players at Illinois and Toledo alleged player mistreatment under Beckman. Former Illini Simon Cvijanovic kicked off the allegations Sunday when he sent out a long series of tweets about the treatment he allegedly received during the past season with Illinois.

The University announced Wednesday that it was hiring Chicago law firm Franczek Radelet to independently investigate the allegations made by Cvijanovic.

@mdwojak94