Flaws ready to take top spot on Illinois goal list

Brenton Tse | Senior Photogrpahe

Illinois’ Janelle Flaws (3) rises to head the ball during the game against Minnesota at Illiniois Track and Soccer Stadium, on Sunday, Oct. 12, 2014. The Illini lost 2-1 in overtime.

By Jonathan Joffe

The Illinois soccer team is coming off of two straight wins to open up the season in which it outscored its opponents 5-1.

As the Illini (2-0) head into a weekend with two matches on tap — against TCU (0-2) on Friday and Saint Louis (2-0) on Sunday – their focus is on limiting their competitors offenses once again.

“Definitely making sure our defense is ready to go, and making sure we can handle anything that is thrown at us,” junior goalkeeper Claire Wheatley said.

Associate head coach Jeff Freeman pointed out that his resilient group has been successful due to their “grit” and determined nature.

In order to keep up the defensive prowess, Freemen said his team needs to keep up its defensive intensity.

“They’re willing to do whatever they can to deny and contest shots,” he said. “I think our athleticism and our willingness to do whatever it takes defensively to keep the opponent off the scoreboard has been the key to our success.”

While the focus is on defense, all eyes are sure to be on redshirt senior Jannelle Flaws. Flaws has scored the second-most goals in the NCAA over the past two years with 42, and is three goals away from setting herself atop of Illinois’ career goals list, surpassing Tara Hurless’ 47.

Flaws said she is very aware of times when she doesn’t capitalize on scoring chances, so her focus is on taking advantage when an opportunity comes her way.

“I think if I get my chances, I should do it,” Flaws said, “I’m one of those players that, even if I have four goals after a game, I’ll know the two I missed.”

Freeman attributes Flaws’ ability to score goals to countless hours spent practicing her craft while injured and not fit to play for the team during her freshman and redshirt-sophomore seasons.

He said the two spent over a hundred hours together taking shots and working on precision with scoring opportunities.

“There are players that have a knack for scoring goals, and she’s one of them,” Freeman said. “She’s earned the place that she’s in to be the Illinois all-time leading scorer.”

If anyone appreciates Flaws’ scoring output, it’s Wheatley.

The goalie admitted that it’s amazing to play with someone as talented as Flaws is, saying that Flaws makes her better every day.

Wheatley loves to bake, and promised to make a chocolate cake for Flaws when she does in fact break the scoring record.

But Flaws says she doesn’t need any more motivation to break the record, and while she hopes to do it this weekend, she’d rather have her team pick up two more wins.

“If my name is not on the score sheet, and we play good soccer, that’s fine with me.”

@Jonny_Joffe